The London 2012 Olympics

Currently reading:
The London 2012 Olympics

Pretty sure I saw the Blade Runner (might be the person Ben mentioned) running in the 4x100 relay

He wasn't allowed to initially as it was believed he could run faster than an able body person.

I think they were trying to say that the springy blades give him an unfair advantage - much like those springy-bouncy stilt things that were a craze a few years back.

I also think the olympics should include more of the lesser-known sports - bowls, boulles, conkers :rolleyes: etc.
I mean, we had tennis crammed down our throats only weeks earlier & (surprise, surprise) who do we see in the finals again?
I'd be interested to know if any disabled athletes are actually better than able-bodied in such as shooting, archery etc (although, wasn't there some asian guy who is partially sighted?)

A nice idea, but wouldn't it mean that the whole Olympic event would last about 5 weeks, and that all the athletes, bot able-bodied and disabled would have very long gaps between their events?
Also some of the venues have to be adapted don't they for the amended rules etc.?
maybe I'm wrong, but I think the logistics would be a problem. Shame though.

I can accept that the olympics and paralympics have different olympic flames, and that they don't run at the same time. But what bugs me is that the BBC showed pretty much every event all day every day, whether licence fee payers wanted it or not (as it happens, I did). But the paralympics is all but ignored by the BBC with the exception of perhaps the odd mention in news bulletins, maybe some highlights, and coverage on radio five live.
Just seems very wrong to me that the efforts of the paralympians seem to be unappreciated by the major TV operators.

Channel 4 is a pretty major operator tbh, but despite that they won't give full coverage like the beeb did.

They are quite a major operator, but I was thinking of BBC's ability to screen everything through their digital interactive wizardry, or Sky's bottomless stash of money that can readily reach in to in order to fund that premiership football rubbish.

Oh well, will just have to see what Channel 4 can do.

I read in the paper (so that comes with a health warning!) that Channel 4 bid £9m and won, whereas BBC bid only £4m, and lost. This compares with paying £20m by the BBC for "The Voice". I am only quoting the papers so I may be wrong.
Channel 4 now worried that they don't actually have the experience to cover the Paralympics properly and ar using Clare Balding (who I thought was great on the BBC Olympics) as a
free - lance anchor person.

I can accept that the olympics and paralympics have different olympic flames, and that they don't run at the same time. But what bugs me is that the BBC showed pretty much every event all day every day, whether licence fee payers wanted it or not (as it happens, I did). But the paralympics is all but ignored by the BBC with the exception of perhaps the odd mention in news bulletins, maybe some highlights, and coverage on radio five live.
Just seems very wrong to me that the efforts of the paralympians seem to be unappreciated by the major TV operators.
I think though, if we have to be totally blunt - not so many people want to see the paralympics, so it would be a big big waste of money to dedicate all those channels to it.

not so many people wanted to see so much of the non paralympics but because it was so in your face people got inspired by it. so surely more of the i cant do sport fat kids would be inspired by paralympics :idea:

paralympics isnt even in my spell checker
I don't know if they would you know.

You can aspire to be an olympic athlete - but you can't really aspire to be a paralympic athelete.

I don't know if they would you know.

You can aspire to be an olympic athlete - but you can't really aspire to be a paralympic athelete.

But surely, when you watch the recent drama about Guttmann - spinal injury patients' life expectancy was measured in months. It was implied that the main killer was through the bed sores - I would have thought that most of them would simply will themselves to death !
A great many out there can learn a hell of a lot from these people - they have come from a far worse place than most able-bodied & have got where they are through damned hard work & determination.
These people are struggling against the odds.

Realistically though, even if it logistically a nightmare to include all the events at once, it would still be nice to have the paralympians coming out for the opening ceremony with their able-bodied counterparts. Team GB should be just that, not team GB able bodied plus a load of other guys in wheelchairs who are also competing under the union flag!

I dont know about where you live, but here, kids are much more likely beat each other up with the tennis rackets than play tennis with them.

In my opinion though, the olympics has certainly inspired people to do things. The question is, how many will actually do it. Loads of people 'want' to do things, but doing it is much different unfortunately.

I dont know about where you live, but here, kids are much more likely beat each other up with the tennis rackets than play tennis with them.

In my opinion though, the olympics has certainly inspired people to do things. The question is, how many will actually do it. Loads of people 'want' to do things, but doing it is much different unfortunately.

Gym membership increases, attendance peaked and will soon be back to pre-olympic levels as the novelty wears off.

Paralympics has been great, inspiring & just as exciting.

Roll on Brazil 2016(y)
I went to the Paralympics with Mrs Codger last week. I have to say that the whole experience was fantastic (apart from paying £21 for fish and chips twice and 2 cups of tea). The stadium is magnificent, as is the whole Olympic Village. The Velodrome is a thing of beauty. It was great to see visitors from all over the world in a party mood seeing that GB can still put on a helluva show.

I think the success of the Olympics and the Paralympics has left the doubters looking a little red faced, both were as good as each another. Even my young kids were cheering on David Weir & Jonnie Peacock in the 100m was just incredible:worship:

Codger, one fish supper near me is £6 but yeah still expensive and often is at events but hey it's only once in a lifetime event....did they taste nice?

Back