The London 2012 Olympics

Currently reading:
The London 2012 Olympics

In 2004/5 the budget was set at about £2.3bn which once we won the bid was doubled to about £4.5bn then the Chinese spent £20bn the government doubled the budget again to £9.1bn the final cost is expected to be in the region of £12bn however the government keep ignoring DPA requests and their is a theory that it could have cost nearly twice the claimed figures, I fail to see how exactly you can class this as "under budget"?

Also usain bolt has received a huge amount of criticism for his behaviour, there are quite a lot of people who don't like him at the moment in the media.

those airports are always at the brink however when you factor in an extra 12,000 athletes baggage equipment etc for over 2 weeks combined with all the officials and coaches that travel with them it's obviously going to have an effect. Yet tourist numbers have been significantly lower than previous year for the same period. Put off by the prospect of huge crowds, maybe but more likely the £3000-5000 hotel bills most London hotels have been charging

Seriously though do you read the news or follow the media? Central London has been really struggling compared to what its usually like this time of year (n)

Lol ok Bolt moaning about tax when he's on that much money is funny more than anything. We have to deal with it day in day out. He only has to deal with it for 9.68 seconds lmao (like what I did there) but seriously Bolt as a character is pure genius lol. On a note with the hotel bills. That is just Londoners who own hotels being greedy. And no I barely catch up with the news because it's all doom and gloom. and as ive said I'm from the west midlands so what happens in London is a world and a half away from me. But to be fair it almost makes sense as to why London would be quieter. Its sort of the 2 queues story (but backwards) when one queue is going faster than the other. So everyone jumps into the other queue which means those that just waited patiently and got on with waiting actually got served first? But in this case people are avoiding London on the basis they they think every where else would be less busy.

Anyone else notice how inflation went up 2.24% today?
Here we go, time to REALLY start paying for it. I wonder if we'll go the same way as Greece? Who knows?
Still think that overall, as a nation we did ourselves proud, pointed out a good message and have inspired (as per my previous post)
Ta

I have found the majority of people who moaned about the torch going by....did so on the internet cause they were too lazy to get off their fat arses.....the window can sometimes seem a long way away.

I have found the majority people who moan about the Olympics were either crap at sport at school, internet warriors or just plain lazy who don't like to see anyone else doing well...if you don't want to watch it turn it off and move on with your lives because it's happening and it won't suddenly go away.

Me? well I wasn't that bothered (bit sick of hearing about it to be honest) but to see team GB winning so many medals and the stories of years of hard (daily) training is incredible, well done to them all.

The Olympics have been inspiring, emotional, exciting, a once in a lifetime event...loved every minute of it:)

If you don't want to watch the closing ceremony then don't....big brother is on C5!

To start with I wasn't bothered about it, and like you, getting sick of hearing it. But towards the end I was really getting into it, cheering Mo on in the 5,000 metres at home.

I'm really disappointed that I didn't try and get tickets for something, or go and see the torch go past.

I missed the torch (at work) but luckily my kids saw it as the schools they are at all went, they were all holding the torches they made at school......they all loved it.
Luckily for us the cycling went pass my folks house which was handy;-)

I did go and see the Torch it arrived in the park where I regularly walk the dog in the evening when i walk her. it really wasn't overly exciting, it was busy over crowded and as soon as it was done I had to fight my way out as everyone was desperate to get home.

just for Kier

it wasn't a life changing occasion lets put it like that.

Last edited:
The beeb just aired an excellent drama about Poppa Guttmann & the beginnings of the paralympics.
Interestingly, the same prejudices that he faced back in the 40s are still being faced by disabled societies today.

Where were the paralympians when teamGB was marching out at the opening ceremony?
How comes the olympics gets 24/7 coverage across multiple networks when the paralympics get a few snippets on ch4?

Once, the olympics was an event for amateurs but after the fiasco with our ski-jumper and a swimmer (can't remember the country or year), the organisers changed the rules - but still discount disabled athletes.

I wonder if disabled archers, shooters or rowers etc are as good as (or even better) than their able-bodied counterparts?
When you have similar sports, these should be shown back to back

it should all be one show really people keep claiming the olympics was for everyone and an inclusive event that brought the country together, so why is the paralympics still after the closing ceremony?

also sucks that if you are in a wheel chair going to watch you can only have 1 other person sitting with you so if a family with 1 wheel chair user want to go the family cant all sit together,

not compete in same race but one after the other, mens running mens then parra running, womens running then womens parra running swiming then para swimming and so on

Exactly, as my last line.

I wonder what people would think if the olympics were whites only, followed by some sports event on channel 4 for blacks only?
Discrimination in any form is abhorrent.

it should all be one show really people keep claiming the olympics was for everyone and an inclusive event that brought the country together, so why is the paralympics still after the closing ceremony?

also sucks that if you are in a wheel chair going to watch you can only have 1 other person sitting with you so if a family with 1 wheel chair user want to go the family cant all sit together,

I signed the petition...
http://www.change.org/petitions/int...-review-ticketing-policy-for-wheelchair-users

Exactly, as my last line.

I wonder what people would think if the olympics were whites only, followed by some sports event on channel 4 for blacks only?
Discrimination in any form is abhorrent.
But it's not discrimination.

Disabled people are eligible to enter into the normal olympics, infact Oscar Pistorious ran in this years one....

Back