General The depreciating Tipo

Currently reading:
General The depreciating Tipo

Tipotwo

A Car Wow video of the 25 worst depreciating cars on sale in the UK, ranked using the worst depreciating car from the main car makes.

https://youtu.be/8kDfzk4z_hE?t=641

Number one is the Fiat with the Tipo, which according to Car Wow, retains 29.7% of it value, new £15,500 after 3 years it is worth about £4,500, it loses about £11,000.

That sounds dreadful, however there are two "buts".

1 - the car is the second cheapest you can buy after the Dacia Sandero (which did not feature in the video), so there are other more expensive cars that depreciate less, but you lose more actual money. Car Wow say the Tipo loses £11,000 in 3 years, which is the same as a Renault Megan. The Vauxhall Astra loses £12,000, a Jeep Renegade loses almost £14,000, an Alfa Giulietta loses £14,000, a VW Passat losses £16,000. Even the Nissan Micra loses £9,000. The rest were far more expensive, such as Rolls Royce, so no comparison there.

2 - most Tipos are discounted anyway and nearly new are heavily discounted. I got a one year old petrol estate easy plus, list price about £17,500, for just over £9000, so at that point it had only retained about 55% of its official value. Car Wow valued my car now at £7400, so I have lost 20% in depreciation in a year and next year that will drop to about 10%.

So, the moral of the story is NEVER pay list price and second hand, the Tipo is a bargain.

I purchased my Tipo Elite when it was 8 months old with 1,920 miles on the clock. Paid £11,495 for it. It has loads of kids toys and safety features on it and I have had zero issues with it. Returns nearly 60 miles to the gallon. My previous car depreciated by £6,000 a year being a BMW X5. Over twice the road tax and £200 more insurance.

Am I worried about losing money on the Tipo when I sell it on. I don't think so. By the way the list price was getting on for £20K but does anyone buy new.

Derek

I'd love to see just where they can get a 3 year old Tipo for £4500
Alps amusingly they list mine beard 4 year old iat start of march with 41k miles as being worth £5890 ?

Last edited:
I have gone through the list of cars and ranked by actual money lost, the Tipo would 23rd out of the 25, with only the Micra (£9k) and Pug 108 (£8.5k) losing less. Of competitor cars the amount of money lost over three years is (Tipo £11k)

Megane £11k
Astra £12k
Picasso £12.5k
308 £14.5k
i30 £16k

Others include;

Giulietta £13k
Suzuki SX4 £13k
Jeep Renegade £14k
Smart £15k
Passat £16k
Galaxy £21k

Then the silly money with the Rolls Royce Silver Dawn losing the most over 3 years with £174k.

Last edited:
I paid £6000 for a 3.5 Year old elite , car drives like a new one , i tend to keep my cars long term, so i really do not care about it loosing value , hoping to have many many Years driving this Fiat

I bought my 1.4 T-Jet S-Design new in 2018 for £16,000 (List Price with Paint, Rear Armrest & Safety Plus Pack was £19,580) so £3580 discount plus a decent trade-in value.

Owing I think in-part to the S-Design being in much less plentiful supply second-hand than some other specs (usually around 30 on Autotrader) and even less of the T-Jet, it looks to be worth around £10,000-£10,500 ish after 28 months and 13,000 miles.

Had I paid the list price which is what these (I feel slightly biased) automotive articles are based on then I'd naturally be very unhappy as I'd have lost around £9.5k, but I doubt many/any of us paid list price for our Tipo's so based on what I did pay, I'm not terribly fussed about less than £3000 per year depreciation when:

A) It was bought brand new so the VAT is lost straight away, skewing the annual figures
B) It's supposedly one of the worst cars for depreciation and
C) The loss per year is likely to slow a little in year 3 onwards

I'm also basing £3k a year on it being worth closer to £10,000 rather than £10,500 (it's hard to tell exactly due to the lack of comparable mileage models) and I've worked it out on whole years when in fact I've had it more than 2 years. I think it's all well and good these articles working out a percentage loss based on original list price, but it'd be fairer if they looked at actual cash lost rather than a percentage and it also needs to be interpretted in the context of what people actually pay - with many cars including the Tipo the price paid can be very different to the list price.

Fiat makes affordable cars for common folks, so why bother even thinking about depreciation when it didn't cost that much in the first place? It's a car to keep for life, not an investment that pays itself back. You just have to love it. I'd not sell it for anything unless it completely broke down.

Out of interest, put the Tipo through various online car buying sites and the best offer I got was £75 more than I paid for the car! The news about the value of cars shooting up is true.

I went from an Abarth 595 to a 2018 Tipo Easy Plus 1.6 diesel. From a car with little depreciation to one with high depreciation.

I knew that depreciation was high when I got it, our Tipo was a pre-reg, so we had a good deal, over £4K off list. There was negative equity in the 595 (can't remember the full details)

The PCP runs out next year and so we were looking at what to get next, I looked at We Buy Any Car and they offered £6800, at the time it would cost £7800 to pay it off.

Went to the dealer, to look at a 500X.

I qualify for the FCA Affinity Scheme, the the AROC and in September there was a special promotion, £5K deposit contribution and so we negotiated with the dealer and they offered to pay off the PCP, ie £7800, which is, I think, a good deal. And its only going to cost £35 a month more than the Tipo

We have a 500X 1.3 DCT Sport on order. Don't know when it will arrive, no semi-conductors!

If you're buying on a PCP you are effectively paying off the depreciation as you go, its all relative.

For me its about paying an amount you're happy with per month

The second hand values are good right now, if you can wait for a new car to be built, you'll get good money, relatively, for a Tipo

Last edited:
I intend to do the same as you….12 months pcp left,had a 500x before the tipo and now want a 500x sport auto.Hopefully my dealer will sort a deal out.

The 500x offers were strong in the last quarter, particularly if you qualify for Affinity (I do now, but didn't when I got the Tipo unfortunately). I was tempted by a 500x Sport - the Parents have a 2020 500x Cross and the 1.0 3cyl FireFly turbo is a hoot, but I don't really fancy having the same car as my Parents so I decided to stick with the Tipo.

I've had the sales person I bought it from 3 years ago leave a voicemail last week, but I've not called back as I'm almost certain it'll be to try & get me into a new car and to be honest, there's nothing in the Fiat/Alfa/Jeep/Abarth range that I really want. Had there been a new Punto or Alfa MiTo/Giulietta, I could've been tempted.

Owing to negative equity on my last car, the finance on the Tipo isn't especially cheap, but because the Tipo appears to still be worth way more than predicted (my mileage has been half the 10k/year I specified on the finance & used car values being what they are now) I imagine I could end up with a better monthly payment on a new car. It's just a shame Fiat don't have a more complete range. Also I've just spent over £600 on a major service, MOT & tyres too, so I think i'll just keep the Tipo till the end of the finance in a year & hopefully the value will be far more than the final baloon payment - it's certainly blown a hole in the depreciation forecasts so far (y)

Back