THE BEST FIAT EVER

Currently reading:
THE BEST FIAT EVER

The 2004 Panda has to be up there with the best. Reliable, great value, class leading in its time & surely responsible for saving Fiat from ruin a long time before the new 500 arrived.

In 2004 the range consisted of a poor selling Stilo, poor selling Multipla, a Doblo, and a Punto which was a few years through its life span. The Panda appealed to the public and the motoring press almost universally. The 500 has surely raked in loads of cash for Fiat, but would Fiat have had the money to develop the 500 had it not been for the 2004 Panda sales? I'm not sure.

Other favourites including the Mk1 & Mk2 Bravo for just quietly & reliably getting on with the job without the limelight of more popular Fiats. The Mk2 Punto for great styling & sales success & the Multipla for taking the rule book & ripping it to shreds.

I must confess to having never driven 1 at this point, but the Pandas still have something about them. It's hard to put your finger on, but there's this colossal charm they have.

For me personally, the Punto mk2 is a beautiful car in its own right. For a cheap, mass produced supermini to look that good (and to still look good over 16 years later!) is an excellent achievement.

Got to be the FIAT Coupe!

Fiat Coupé probably has one of the funnest engines ever from Fiat.. 5 cylinders :D

Best Fiat? The Panda 169 models (2003-12)
I own one, and having had a great experience as well as everyone in the Panda section with advice etc it has the whole package. Plus as some have said, saved Fiat from possible bankruptcy!

Had the little 1.3 Multijet, probably the best small diesel engine in the world?!
The reliable FIRE engine choices too, probably considered slow as hell but simple to work on and VERY reliable I hear...and if you ask me, I'd say in a little Panda it's pretty spritely.

That's my vote :)

1. stilo multiwagon 1.9 JTD-- awesome
2. Tipo with electric dashboard--fantastic
3. Cinquecento Sporting--had to be Yellow--most fun

In no particular order...

Topolino - got Italy moving.

Original 500 - kept Italy moving despite becoming cool.

Original Panda - Swiss Army Knife with wheels.

Original 124 Spider - thinking man's Alfa Spider.

Uno Turbo ie - one of the best hot hatches of all time not to be stolen all the time.

Croma Turbo ie - imagine an Alfa Giulia QV in 1988? That's how good the Croma Turbo ie was.

131 Abarth - rally pedigree, real world practicality and rarer than any Lancia.

X-1/9 - nothing short of a revolution in the world of sports cars at the time.

Last edited:
There are some really great car made by Fiat but I have not driven or indeed seen many in real life. The Panda 100HP is undoubtedly a work of genius and utterly the best car I have ever driven. No the fastest, nor the most economical but definitely inspired engineering and beautifully made too.

Drove our m.y 2000, metallic green "made in Turkey by Tofas", Dutch registered Fiat Palio Weekend 1,6-16V for almost 14 years and more than 200.000km ( 125.000mls) without problems at all.
Best car I've ever owned, fast, compact and reliable, nothing to ask for more...!!
(y)

Fiat Tipo. Undeservedly underrated piece of extremely sensible no-nonsense engineering and the most rewarding car I ever had.

Back