Off Topic TentBox roof tent on a Panda

Currently reading:
Off Topic TentBox roof tent on a Panda

Bit of a curveball post:
Promotional shots from a roof box tent company, using a Panda Cross as the 'model'. Looks like fun to me... https://tentbox.com/products/tentbox-lite-2-0

Also, there's a parallel competition from a surf brand to win loan of a Panda Cross with tent, wetsuits etc for a 4 day break

1690284979555.png

Last edited:
what’s the roof load limit of a panda cross, I can’t imagine it’s strong enough to carry the weight of a couple of adults in a tent at maybe 80kg each (rough average)

what’s the roof load limit of a panda cross, I can’t imagine it’s strong enough to carry the weight of a couple of adults in a tent at maybe 80kg each (rough average)
The limit for carrying while driving is (I think) 70kg. But the bodyshell can support a lot more when stationary. The load limit set by Fiat (and other makers) relates to the car remaining stable - not too top heavy - when moving, especially cornering.

The TentBox website (link in first post) says:
“When a car is stationary (the only time people are inside), the roof can take 5x the dynamic roof load limit, so can easily handle the weight of several people too.”

See https://tentbox.com/blogs/help-and-guides/find-your-vehicle-roof-load-limit

A roof is a strong thing, it’s designed to support the weight of the car in a roll over but, it doesn’t have to be serviceable after a roll over. So yes arguably your roof will hold more than the weight they state,

The issue comes if the designers decide that 70kg moving load is enough so a direct downward force on the small roof rack points of maybe no more than 150kg is more than enough so while the roof as a whole can support a ton or more, the actual mounting points of the roof rack are definitely not going to be as strong and put all that load in a small area

As a little thought experiment if you say the actual point between the roof rails and the roof of the car is an inch by 3 inches you get 3 inches square per corner. 12sq/inch total. Then you put say one average male at 190lb and 1 average female at 170lb on that roof then you have 30lb per sq/inch of downward force between a thin skin of sheet steel and the roof rails base. Which is quite a bit of force

A roof is a strong thing, it’s designed to support the weight of the car in a roll over but, it doesn’t have to be serviceable after a roll over. So yes arguably your roof will hold more than the weight they state,

The issue comes if the designers decide that 70kg moving load is enough so a direct downward force on the small roof rack points of maybe no more than 150kg is more than enough so while the roof as a whole can support a ton or more, the actual mounting points of the roof rack are definitely not going to be as strong and put all that load in a small area

As a little thought experiment if you say the actual point between the roof rails and the roof of the car is an inch by 3 inches you get 3 inches square per corner. 12sq/inch total. Then you put say one average male at 190lb and 1 average female at 170lb on that roof then you have 30lb per sq/inch of downward force between a thin skin of sheet steel and the roof rails base. Which is quite a bit of force
You're probably right, but aren't the roof edges (and rack mounting points) a box section like the sills – all part of the safety cage all the way around the door frames. If you can jack up the weight of the car on a small point on the sills – so about a quarter of the 1100kg of Panda on one small point – logically the same applies at the top of the box section.

Anyway, I'm not buying one, so not an issue. Just liked that they used a Panda in their promotional material.

Last edited:
You're probably right, but aren't the roof edges (and rack mounting points) a box section like the sills – all part of the safety cage all the way around the door frames. If you can jack up the weight of the car on a small point on the sills – so about a quarter of the 1100kg of Panda on one small point – logically the same applies at the top of the box section.

Anyway, I'm not buying one, so not an issue. Just liked that they used a Panda in their promotional material.
You're probably right. There are plenty of cars that do use them but they tend to be big off roaders designed for huge amounts of weight being put on the roof. But the Panda is a small little car and that will help strengthen the safety structure. I don't think the roof is going to cave in or anything like that, just a risk of some localized distortion in the metal around the roof rail points.

But I does look cool in those photos.

A few years back Mini Actually sold their own roof tent for the countryman and I think still use it quite a lot in their marketing so it is clearly a good marketing point for the car as well as the tent itself.

The limit for carrying while driving is (I think) 70kg. But the bodyshell can support a lot more when stationary. The load limit set by Fiat (and other makers) relates to the car remaining stable - not too top heavy - when moving, especially cornering.

“When a car is stationary (the only time people are inside), the roof can take 5x the dynamic roof load limit, so can easily handle the weight of several people too.”

That learned me a thing :)

It’s up!

First impressions are that it’s a proper quality and well thought out product.

Our drive is on a slight decline and it’s utterly stable with myself, my Mrs and the dog inside of it.

I’m 6’-2” and can sit up straight in it, and lie down fully stretched out without any issues.

Im really impressed with it and can’t wait to try it out overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpeg
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 99

Oh deers only 5x .... Panda Nuts are very heavy things. I love the idea of a roof tent. Ali express have some but No after sales I suspect

Stop tempting me! (or 'tenting', perhaps...)
You know what?

I’ve never really been a camper and wouldn’t consider sleeping on the ground in a traditional tent now.

We bought this mainly for when we are away at track days and race weekends but we are enjoying it that much that we are making an effort to get away as often as possible in it.

Yes it’s a bit of an investment, but for me, it’s worth every penny. I just wish we had bought one sooner.

Btw … we use the Wild With Consent website for booking our wild camping spots in the UK, we don’t use the normal camping parks.

Good to see you are getting great use from it 🙂

Do you notice wind whistle.. Or drag?
It’s been used quite a bit since we got it, it’s a great thing.

There isn’t any whistling no, if you have the radio off you can hear a bit of a change in tone while you’re driving, but it’s barely noticeable to be honest.

Can’t feel any drag while driving. On the 350 mile round trip to Cadwell Park and back last weekend it did reduce the MPG slightly which is to be expect but only by 2 or 3 mpg.

Back