Technical Temperature not rising

Currently reading:
Technical Temperature not rising

So I did a quick search and could only really see threads about the temp gauge rising rapidly to excess. My 1.4 Sporting seems to have the opposite issue, in that it barely gets to 1/4 way up even after driving some 15miles to work (the Pajero would be up to temp within 2-3 miles).

As service history is a bit spotty (read: non-existent), I plan to do the cambelt soon, and will be replacing the water pump along with it. Would this indicate an issue with the thermostat, and that perhaps it should be replaced at the same time?

That's all I've got after the distance shown

Attachments

• 1459406720762.jpg
    1459406720762.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
Racing certainty the thermostat is stuck wide open. Will it increase a bit if you leave it idle for a while after arriving at your destination ? What's the fuel consumption been like ?
Outside chance the temperature sender is playing up but generally they fail open and pop up a red overtemp light. There are numbers here somewhere for it. Basically you pop it in water and watch the resistance fall as you heat the water.
I was on originals up to last January until the sender started acting up. For what they cost I replaced both. They are neighbours anyway.
In the old days people put a bit of cardboard across part of the front of the rad to compensate for overcooling in the winter.

Last edited:
Avg, consumption is showing 51 MPG at the moment. I've not let it idle tbh, and I've also not heard the fan but I guess it's still quite cold out and I've not had to sit still for any length of time.
From experience on the ol' Seicento it felt like a stuck open stat, but just wanted to run it past the group :)

So over the last few days I'm not so sure there actually is an issue. I'm used to (again, in the Mitsubishi) the coolant temp getting to right level no matter what. I forgot that Fiats tend to run a little cooler when you have the internal blowers on hot, presumably because the coolant temp sensor is after the heater matrix so the fans cool it before it gets there. Over the last few days I've not had the heaters up quite as high and the temperature does now seem to be getting to a more reasonable level.

Of course, just to make life easier, the bonnet cable has snapped so that's something I need to sort :(

The heater fan does remove some heat from the system and can be used as a parachute if the main fan fails on a hot day in slow traffic. However the system is designed to keep the motor temperature at optimum and you shouldn't be seeing much more than a needle width variation from the mid point one way or the other.
Thermostat means what it says on the tin.
Take it for a spin on a fast road. Note the temperature before the start of the run. If it falls appreciably at sustained high speed the stat is not doing it's job of closing up to compensate for the increased airflow through the rad.

Last edited:
Sounds like Low engine temp is thermostat but may also need a renewal of thermostat sensor. Although I did the thermostat first for £10 new. Mine failed in the west country and I drove back in the freezing cold from Bath one night to London with the thermostat jammed open and no heating. I even had to keep pulling over to let the engine temperature get back up. It barely got to a quarter each time.

New thermostat and temp sensor ordered. I was having a good look around the engine bay yesterday and came across this pink goop all over the temp sensor, looks like dried coolant to me.

Attachments

• 2016-04-11 11.04.42.jpg
    2016-04-11 11.04.42.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 2016-04-11 11.06.28.jpg
    2016-04-11 11.06.28.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 394
While you're changing the thermostat (and thermostat gasket - you will need a new one) I would take to opportunity to do a full coolant flush and change.

EDIT:

Full instructions here:

oIFvyBU.png

Last edited:
Back