System Build Question

Currently reading:
System Build Question

4 gig i think you need 64 if xp rules still apply
ones in motherbored are never quite as good and they use the ram to work

So what benefit will i get from having a graphics card, bearing in mind i wont be using it for gaming really and will have 4gb of ram?

I don't have issues with 64 bit, most drivers are available for it now. Plus of course the memory limit is removed, you won't even see all that 4GB on a 32 bit system, more like 3.5GB [although you can do some tweaking].

Yeah thats right, up tp 3.5gb on the 32 bit system

thats just what un cool pentium fan boys say ;) bet they still use ie instead of cool browsers too :D

ive never had an amd hardware fault, but all my mates who give me their dead computers to fix that need new cpu or mobo are all pentium

Every AMD system I have had has blown up, need I say more? ;)

My intel setup is solid as a rock! :)

Lots of love,

Intel fan girl, I really am a fan girl, I had to get a new CPU heatsink for my Intel build lol.

garlicbread22 said:
So what benefit will i get from having a graphics card, bearing in mind i wont be using it for gaming really and will have 4gb of ram?

In your original post you said you wanted the PC for "Media". Presumably you mean for playing video files and music?

Having a decent graphics card will enable reliable HD playback. On-board graphics are generally very poor and will struggle with this.

In your original post you said you wanted the PC for "Media". Presumably you mean for playing video files and music?

Having a decent graphics card will enable reliable HD playback. On-board graphics are generally very poor and will struggle with this.

yeah thats right, but i wont be playing anything in HD and mostly downloaded films. Could someone possibly suggest a fairly cheap one which will be more suitable for my requirements as im not really sure what im doing with the graphics cards

Cheap cases like this are pretty much the same inside. Either would do for your modest needs.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I'd go for case two but if it was my case I wouldn't choose either.

I bought my stepson an Asus Vento TA M1 for christmas. [Google it, it's quite nice]. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks in the metal (photos don't do it justice) and the overall feel of quality.

It's a little more than the two you've listed but it's the bit you're going to be looking at once you've built it so I think a few extra quid for something better looking would be well spent.

Cheap cases like this are pretty much the same inside. Either would do for your modest needs.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I'd go for case two but if it was my case I wouldn't choose either.

I bought my stepson an Asus Vento TA M1 for christmas. [Google it, it's quite nice]. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks in the metal (photos don't do it justice) and the overall feel of quality.

It's a little more than the two you've listed but it's the bit you're going to be looking at once you've built it so I think a few extra quid for something better looking would be well spent.

I also prefer the second one aesthetically, but i thought maybe the first one might be better from a functional point of view since it has better ventialtion through the mesh, or so it claims

I would like to spend more on a case but at the moment my total is more than id like it to be so im looking at places to save money.

main thing to do is check the mother bored fits inside i have had this problem with medium cases before

Well both of them say they fit standard ATX size motherboards so i think i should be ok

Last edited:
I have decidedto go for the first black antec case as it has dust filters and more i/o ports up front

I think im also going to get this graphics cards
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-138-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

Just need to decide on the PSU then im done i think.

The plan is, since im not in a rush, is to spend the weeks running up to Easter trying to get the parts cheap off ebay then assemble them over the Easter period when im off

Thanks for everyone input so far (y)

Right im all spent up! got all the parts i need or there in the post
Spent a total of £422 for desktop parts which were

1tb seagate 7200 hard drive (slightly used)
Core Quad Q9400
Asus p5ql epu
Antec vsk-2000 case
4gb Corsair twinx xms2 pc2-6400
XFX Radeon HD 4650
Samsung Super WriteMaster SH-S223
OCZ StealthXtreme 600w

then £30 for keyboad, mouse, thermal paste, book, screwdriver, pliers.

Question:
My case has a HDD Led on the front
I cant see any connections for this on my motherboard, should i just hook it up to the IDE_LED ports?

Back