Technical SX R Reg (97) Window mechanism help

Currently reading:
Technical SX R Reg (97) Window mechanism help

Ian1990

Hi there

Before I start I would just like to say I know f-all about cars - all I do is drive one, so technical terms will mean nothing to me - if you could spell everything out as if I were a 5 year old that would be great :)

Ever since I had my car, the two front electric windows have been incredibly slow, but they've not been a problem up until now.

Today, the extreme slowliness hit a new high as my driverside one stopped. With a bit more playing around with it (puting it a tiny bit down then up again etc) it evetually went back up.

The passengerside window has slowly got worse but is still working (just).

I've done a little bit of research and it looks as if I need a new window regulator and/or(?) motor. I assume for both sides?

By the way, I am not indending to fit these, but just get the parts so one of my mechanic mate (who I hardly see) can.

Are the two windows linked, or is it just a conincidence? And do I need a whole new regulator? or just the motor (which I assume is part of the regulator)?

Thanls for any help in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Ian, welcome to the FF.

It's unlikely that you will need new regulators or motors.

Slow electric windows are usually caused by voltage drops between the battery and the window motors. 12 volts (14 volts with engine running) from the battery can be reduced to as low as 3 or 4 volts by the time it reaches the motors because of resistances in the many connection points in between.

Get your "mechanic mate" to check for, and repair, any voltage drops throughout the electrical circuits for the windows. i.e. Battery to fuse box to switches to window motors and any connectors in between. As your mate is a mechanic, he will know how to do this.

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, that's really helpful - will do just that.

Out of interest, what could be the cause of it suddenly getting worse?

Last edited:
Thanks. I did just have one of my fuses replaced because the internal light/digital clock/stereo died - could these be linked? I found the problem literally 15 minutes after the bloke at halfords replaced it.

Back