Technical Suspension i think!

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension i think!

gsalini

I have an 08 plate fiat grande punto multi jet. Ive been hearing a sort of dampened clunking noise coming from my driver side front wheel when going over speed bumps, also a quite loud creaking noise when going over sharp speed bumps. So i took it into my local garage and it was also due its 36k service which i had done. So i told them to have a look at it. Came back with them saying that its the brake pads because there worn?! I said no, its not that straight away so i took it back again, this time they said the suspenison bushes have worn out? this sounded more likely. So they were replaced under warrenty. As soon as i picked up the car today and drove out of the dealer and over a speed bump, guess what, it was back. Does any one have any idea what it could be? Im seriously getting fed up of this!
Thanks for any help.

i had the same/similar noise about 18months ago on mine. it was the front struts on both sides had worn, and fiat replaced them under warranty. you could ask them to check them, unless you can check yourself (y)

Ive got to be honest, im not quite sure what theve done! ha. Im no whiz on cars at all. But i can see that theve put two new bars (one for each front wheel) that connect to the suspension and to a bar at the bottom of the car? What have they done? haha

Last edited:
I was so pissed off with the car ive taken it back to the dealer again! And a mechanic came out for a test drive with me, he now rekons its the shock absorber it self that has an internal fault, so a new shock absorber also with new bearings is coming under warranty. And yea you guys were right it was the drop links that had been replaced, but they have made zero difference!

yeah could be shocks, hel know more, because hes seen and heard it 1st hand. i was going to say if not it could be wishbones, iv just replaced them on my gfs KA, they make that sort of noise.

Impossible to diagnose a noise over an internet forum. it needs to go to a garage, however I would suggest another dealership, one that actually tests parts and not just guesses....if you find such a place then please tell the rest of us!

Impossible to diagnose a noise over an internet forum. it needs to go to a garage, however I would suggest another dealership, one that actually tests parts and not just guesses....if you find such a place then please tell the rest of us!

hang on, unless i imagined it im sure i saw you worked at fiat, do you guess diagnosis as well then :p

I had a rattling develop when one side of my car went over a bump. I took it to the garage that replaced the front bumper a few months ago (someone scratched it in a car park) thinking a clip or something had come off.

Turned out to be a stone underneath the plastic at the base of the windscreen (the plastic cover at the base of the windscreen, where the washer fluid is squirted from and under which is the wiper motors).

It didn't sound like a stone to me at the time so it's worth a check.

Last edited:
Right ok i seriously need help now. Ive had the drop links changed on the 2 front wheels, right shock changed, the rear shock changed and the front left and right top bearings changed. And guess what, absolutely no difference, i cant even tell where the noise is coming from, it seems to be coming more from the right hand side-ish, then to the left hand side, it seems to be suspension noise but i have no idea anymore, its like a dampened clunking noise. Speed bumps and pot holes make the noise happen. Basically almost any change in the road. Its pissing my off and the garage dont seem to have a clue what the problem is. Please give me suggestions!

Just a shot in the dark but could it the door locks rattling ? Fiat can adjust them properly I think it is just done by using Alan keys. Or for a quick fix just put some electricians tape around the catch.

yea ive heard of that issue, but i dont think that is the problem. the sound seems to be coming from the wheels or the suspension. the only reason im almost positive its the suspension is that the sound only happens over bumps and pot holes, so any change in the road level basically.

I can't think of anything else of the top of my head and from reading your posts you have had various parts changed. As your vehicle is still under warranty take it back to Fiat and see if they can find and fix the fault.

Yea well I guess I don't have a choice! The garage do not have a clue what the problem is. That's all their doing is trial and error. I've just had enough, I don't feel safe driving the car the noise is so loud. I may record the noise and post it on here for you guys to have a listen.

Well it's come to breaking point. Had the car back from the Fiat garage after 7 hours. They've taken apart all the suspension and put it back, with no results. They were on the phone to Fiat to ask what the hell they could do and they don't even have a clue. The cars going in for a few days now, maybe even a week and there's a guy coming from Fiat to have a look and hopefully find the problem! fingers crossed.

Back