Technical I shouldn't leave my GP undriven...

Currently reading:
Technical I shouldn't leave my GP undriven...

Dodgy Geezer

Left my Punto Grande undriven for around 6 months. Started it once or twice during that time, and it seemed fine...

Need o get it MOTd, so decided to go for a spin. Started fine, but then as I reved up over about 2000, the battery warning light came on, and the power steering suddenly stopped. I restarted, and got the same failure.

I had a spare new battery in the garage, so I changed that in, but it made no differnce. Battery warning and power steering off after a short rev - and, of course, all the other lights - ASR and the rest. Obviously not driveable with no power steering - the wheel is very hard to turn! And I have no diagnostic laptop.

Has anyone got any ideas about where to start?

Hello,

Can be anything. As far as I remember, the power steering is electric, isn't it? Is the alternator OK? The belts are OK? do they run correctly, or something seems seized? Any strange noises from the alternator / belt?

What is the system voltage on idle?

I'd start with buying MES, an interface and a cheap laptop.

Might be anything, as you say. The alternator belt isn't slipping, and when I look at the engine I can see it spinning. I suppose I would get this symptom if the alternator wasn't connected to the battery in some way? But then I would expect a battery light to be on all the time, I can't think why it should come on only as I rev up. Perhaps there's an odd electrical fault with the alternator...

Belt slipping is first thing, but the alternator could alse seize. I've seen such cases from time to time. The connectors tend to oxidize.

It could also be the regulator. Checking voltage during the process could give you a hint.

FIATs are also known for having rotten earth straps and earth points.

Left my Punto Grande undriven for around 6 months. Started it once or twice during that time, and it seemed fine...

Need o get it MOTd, so decided to go for a spin. Started fine, but then as I reved up over about 2000, the battery warning light came on, and the power steering suddenly stopped. I restarted, and got the same failure.

I had a spare new battery in the garage, so I changed that in, but it made no differnce. Battery warning and power steering off after a short rev - and, of course, all the other lights - ASR and the rest. Obviously not driveable with no power steering - the wheel is very hard to turn! And I have no diagnostic laptop.

Reads like the alternator is failing. They can go suddenly but they've given me a few weeks notice of failing in the past, during which time they've degraded in their performance.

How old is the car? the alternator will go on older ones.

If it charges at low rpm then fails at high I would check the alternator is charging as a first step. (Brushes perhaps)

Thanks all - sounds likely to be altenator - I will do more checkimg in the morning...

Might be anything, as you say. The alternator belt isn't slipping, and when I look at the engine I can see it spinning. I suppose I would get this symptom if the alternator wasn't connected to the battery in some way? But then I would expect a battery light to be on all the time, I can't think why it should come on only as I rev up. Perhaps there's an odd electrical fault with the alternator...
Unusual fault but my thinking was that the brushes could be losing contact with the slip rings at high rpm.
Still pays to check voltages before you start pulling things apart on the strength of a guess though.

Left my Punto Grande undriven for around 6 months.
Don't do it, ever, especially outdoors (rain).
Grande has bad water drain, flooding the alternators.
Battery needs maintenance if you don't drive the car longer than 2-3 weeks.
Spare one you have is probably bad too.

Summary.
1. Charge the battery (both of them) and see if it makes a difference (it should).
2. Check the charging voltage (and performance as you increase the load: lights OFF then ON + blower + defrost).
3. Main ground and positive leads.
4. Water drains (there are 2 actually). https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/modified-scuttle-drain.337783/#post-3360383

Thanks all - sounds likely to be altenator - I will do more checkimg in the morning...
Just to agree with what others have said, the early grande puntos had a drain that would drip directly onto the alternator, as @varesecrazy said there is a modified drain/“duck bill” that replaced it and would then drain the water down closer to the bulkhead missing the alternator.

The likelihood is being stood so long has allowed a lot of water to pass through without ever being warmed up or dried off

Back