General Super Unleaded? Is it Worth the extra money ?

Currently reading:
General Super Unleaded? Is it Worth the extra money ?

jonathaneuk

Catch me if you can :-)
I've always wondered, if the Super Unleaded Petrol, and Diesel of course is worth the extra money ? Or is it really just a waste if time ?
I know that the "Super Stuff" has extra cleaning stuff in it, so thats a good thing, but really is it a good thing to use ?

Would like to hear peoples comments and queries about this :D

I've never been convinced by it. The engine does seem to run more smoothly but perhaps that's a placebo effect. The higher octane rating should mean later spark timing and therefore slight power and economy gains but again I'm not convinced. I haven't really done enough tank fulls on it for a good comparison.

I'm sure 5th gear did a test, an r32 saw a small bhp increase (like 1 or 2) and increased mpg, as did an Impreza. A corsa and any other little cars saw no increase in anything. I think a performance engine will benefit more, anything else may only feel the warm feeling of having spent 9p per litre more :p

It's a very brief question.

No it's not in the slightest bit worth it if you drive a 1.4 N/A or less
For a T-Jet it would probably still be a bit of a waste

For me i've never put anything else other than super unleaded in the AGP SS, it came with normal unleaded in the tank and didn't feel 100% smooth through the power band, I now only use super unleaded but I bought my car knowing it wasn't going to be amazing on fuel consumption so im prepared to pay the extra for what I have. :) Paying the prices of super on a 1.4 n\a or less would be pretty stupid, may give peace of mind and act as placebo though :confused:

I have recently been opting for the vpower diesel because latley the mpg from the supermarket hasn't been the best perhaps its the cold weather that we had.

When using the vpower I did notice in the early cold mornings the mpg seemed to be more than usual on the instant consumption when going to work perhaps it might just be a physcological effect of knowing iv spent abit more and not supermarket fuel I dont know.

Fuel consumption has improved slighlty even though using heaters more with the cold weather but I suppose that its down to your choice in what you want to fill up with, if you feel like you will benefit from it go for it whats there too lose.

Overall on the last few tanks it was slightly higher on the trip computer

If you have a wee punto for instance then not worth the extra.

Well I've now noticed that my car is running smoother and quieter now on super unleaded, so its doing its job on my 1.4 :)

If we talk pence per mile, instead of just looking at the mpg figure, then, the few times I've used Shell V-Power Unleaded -- as against my usual Shell FuelSave Regular Unleaded (and I nearly always go to the same Shell garage, because of where I live; and the resultant Waitrose vouchers...!) -- then we're talking about a lowering of cost (i.e. an increase in efficiency...) -- for me, in my 1.2 16v Punto semi-auto (always driven as an automatic) -- from 15-17p per mile (on FuelSave) to 12-14p per mile (on V-Power). (y)

Notes
  • Most of my journeys are around 12-13 miles; at around 50-60 mph (with the odd stop; and short lengths of 30 mph); although I get even better mpg, of course, on the rare motorway journeys I make. :cool:
  • I only initially tried V-Power, because, before I bought the car, it only made short journeys; and I was being a little paranoid/suspicious about its upcoming MOT. (The emissions results were perfect, by the way...!) :rolleyes:
  • I too have "noticed that my car [at 83,500 miles] is running smoother and quieter now on super unleaded" -- although I am yet to be convinced that this is anything other than subjective...! ;)
  • I would be very surprised if filling with super unleaded made any difference whatsoever in the Panda (with the 8v 1.2 engine) -- especially as it's already running at just over 13p per mile, on 'normal' unleaded (at around the 27,000-mile mark). But you never know.... :)
  • Just about all the super unleaded has been put in the Punto when the tank was less than a quarter full; and the figures have been calculated over many months (using Road Trip HD, on my iPad) -- with the price of petrol obviously fluctuating wildly in that time.... [See siggy below, for ownership dates.] :(

This then, of course, leaves the question: why is FuelSave not saving me fuel...?! :confused:

£1.38ppl for VPower and £1.37 for fuel save.

You lucky so and so...! (Not so much for the actual prices: but the differential -- as we're currently paying £1.399 and £1.319.) :eek:

Last edited:
Nope. But I realise compared to local supermarkets that the fuel save is not cheap either. Here Tesco are £1.29 for regular

But thats Tesco 'supermarket' fuel, around here we've only Shell regular fuel, they've issues with the supply of fuel save, but thats about 1-2ppl more at some Shell garages, but worth it IMO for the extra piece of mind. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Back