Technical Replacing the exhaust manifold gasket. Looks easy, is it?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing the exhaust manifold gasket. Looks easy, is it?

RedPeril

I'm just preparing my 2009 Grande for its MoT in a few weeks. The exhaust manifold is leaking a bit and I'm intending replacing the gasket(s) My eManual and Haynes seem to suggest that this is not a difficult job.

However, Haynes mentions two gaskets, the manifold gasket and the front pipe flange gasket whereas the eManual only mentions the manifold gasket. What's the score?

Any tips, experience or information would be great.

Thanks for your reply Chris,

This is the first time that I have done this job on a Punto. Is there space for a nut splitter, should I need to use one?

Thanks for your reply Chris,

This is the first time that I have done this job on a Punto. Is there space for a nut splitter, should I need to use one?
I'm afraid that it's going to be more complicated than one would think at first. Don't use a nut splitter because you'll end up cracking bolts inside the head. They're quite fragile. Also check that how many bolts actually are intact there.

You could end up cracking up bolts inside the head and then you're going to need a professional. Does the leak stop when engine is warmed up? If yes, then you should consider not doing the job at all if it passes MOT. :unsure:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check to see if the manifold leaks when it's warm and thanks both for the dire warning on the pitfalls involved with the nuts/bolts.

If it doesn't leak with a warm engine then I shall consider it as "job done". I've been given an estimate of £140 to have a garage do it.

Worn/fatigued studs are pretty common in these engines unfortunately.
Prepare for broken studs. Extraction is not always easy. You can do some damage or fail completely.
Manifolds can warp (you should be able to check this and correct if needed). Not easy too.
Job definitely not for beginners.

Here is non-english example of "mistakes were done" type Guide. Typical problems (like drilling off-center) and how to correct them.
Other forum (non UK): http://fiatpunto.com.pl/topic61924.html Most pictures are self-explanatory.

Thanks for the reply and link. Yes, the pictures in the link say it all! I saw stud extractors and tap tools. Enough said!

Back