Technical Sump replacement 500c

Currently reading:
Technical Sump replacement 500c

Cheap method for the studs (if need be) is to put two nuts on to tighten it back in.

Does the front frame strictly have to come off to get the heatshield off? Can one get away with taking the rad fan off?

I note the Haynes manual (I know...) says you just undo a few bits like the transmission brace bracket, undo the sump bolts, cut the sealant and bob's your uncle. A "three spanner" job....
It’s up to you….. I moved the condenser..removed rad n fan then heat shield it gave me a front on view…. I tried to remove the heat shield with fan/rad in situ but it was too tight and would not come out!

When removing the lambada I used a special tool that @typecastboy used and it worked a treat

When removing the lambada I used a special tool that @typecastboy used and it worked a treat
Mine just didn't want to know... just started chewing up the "hex" edges. In the end, I had to cut off the connector and put a long ring spanner on it but even then it resisted for a bit longer. It was so mauled when it came off that I decided to fit a replacement one. Slightly boring.. 🙁

Ralf S.

Mine just didn't want to know... just started chewing up the "hex" edges. In the end, I had to cut off the connector and put a long ring spanner on it but even then it resisted for a bit longer. It was so mauled when it came off that I decided to fit a replacement one. Slightly boring.. 🙁

Ralf S.
Do you need to remove it ? Or just disconnect it.

Definitely if your not 100% confident! Don’t Have the tools 🛠 or the time!
I do wonder…. If the garage sheers the studs would they have to fix them?
Even confident sometimes it's a job you wish you didn't start, though I agree the right tools, a spare car so there's no hurry, a nice dry warm garage and in this case a lift or pit?

Do you need to remove it ? Or just disconnect it.

You need to remove the lambda to lift the heat shield away from the manifold, to undo the manifold nuts..... although thinking about it, if you unbolt the heat shield you may be able to lift it up, out of the way (get someone to hold it) while you unbolt the manifold, without actually removing the shield from the manifold.

The hole that the lambda passes through is too small to get the large flat connector plug through it... so you would have to remove the manifold with the shield loose, but still attached to it by the lambda wiring/connector.

If you're removing the radiator fan then you'll have more space to get the manifold out, even if it has the shield attached to it... but on the day, I was in "remove lambda" mode and didn't see past that. :unsure:

Ralf S.

I dont see why it needs removed, if you get all the bolts off the shield then why cant it lift up and sit it over to the side with cable still through the hole.

I dont see why it needs removed, if you get all the bolts off the shield then why cant it lift up and sit it over to the side with cable still through the hole.
I can’t remember now but I’m pretty sure the bolt of the lambada is bigger than the hole of the shield … could be wrong 😑 but I’m sure that’s why I removed it! The tool thingy is quite large and has a slot for the wire to pass through

You need to remove the lambda to lift the heat shield away from the manifold, to undo the manifold nuts..... although thinking about it, if you unbolt the heat shield you may be able to lift it up, out of the way (get someone to hold it) while you unbolt the manifold, without actually removing the shield from the manifold.

The hole that the lambda passes through is too small to get the large flat connector plug through it... so you would have to remove the manifold with the shield loose, but still attached to it by the lambda wiring/connector.

If you're removing the radiator fan then you'll have more space to get the manifold out, even if it has the shield attached to it... but on the day, I was in "remove lambda" mode and didn't see past that. :unsure:

Ralf S.
I can’t even imagine removing the manifold with everything still in place … rad & fan
I purposely went “the long way” as I knew what I was tackling & was scared shitless of breaking manifold studs… car OFF the road situation

At least if your face to face with those 8 tighter than a nats arse nuts …. You can soak em and plan your assault…. To the op … just make sure you or the garage use a fresh manifold gasket

Looking at that video, I'd say the fan only needs to move out the way, but will find out in a few weeks.

The nuts themselves aren't usually overly tight, it's the threads on the studs are good at rusting with exhaust manifolds. Nuts are not normally steel either, sometimes copper or brass to stop them rusting.

I got fixated with removing the lambda... it will come out "through" the shield, which makes sense, in case you want to change the lambda.. but the shield can't come off the lambda because the lambda plug is flat and wide, whereas the hole is about 21mm diameter. You *could* cut the hole bigger but I didn't want to chop the shield .. since the lambda should unscrew .. just mine was moody.

I think (from memory) I may have removed the radiator fan... (or at least, just moved it out of the way) but definitely not the radiator.

But the more stuff you remove, the easier the job is... (unless you have a seized in lambda, it seems).

I would give the lambda a "tweak" to see whether it'll come off.. if so, it's no drama to remove it and it prevents it getting accidentally decapitated as you drop/lift the manifold out. For most people I suspect that separating the flexi section will be the biggest faff.

Ralf S.

Apologies for reviving this painful old thread but I am about to replace the sump on my daughters 500 1.2 and as I am too scared to touch the manifold nuts I plan to cut a section of the exhaust out and replace it with a section of flexi pipe from eBay @ £12.99. Has anyone tried doing it this way and also, for those that have done one will I have enough room to remove and refit the sump?

The garage replaced ours before we picked up the car FOC! it was clear they didn't remove the manifold?
Note there's no support for the exhaust at the front( only the stay on the down pipe to gearbox) adding a longer flexi might cause issues?

The garage replaced ours before we picked up the car FOC! it was clear they didn't remove the manifold?
Note there's no support for the exhaust at the front( only the stay on the down pipe to gearbox) adding a longer flexi might cause issues?
I’ve ordered the parts and plan to do it when I get time over the next few weeks. I’ll let you know how it goes afterwards.

The manifold was easy enough on ours, no dodgy studs.

The manifold was easy enough on ours, no dodgy studs.
I’m not risking it, Fiat aren’t the best when it comes to fixings. I had the stud for the battery strap shear on this one due to corrosion and don’t want to make this job any bigger than it needs to be. 😂 I used to work on Austin Rover years ago and they used brass nuts on the exhaust manifold never a problem taking them off.

Back