Technical Sump replacement 500c

Currently reading:
Technical Sump replacement 500c

I'm not sure I'd trust and ebay flexi pipe at the front of the exhaust, they manifold is much easier than getting the sump itself off the block.

I'm not sure I'd trust and ebay flexi pipe at the front of the exhaust, they manifold is much easier than getting the sump itself off the block.
I’ve had a re-think and I will measure how much straight section of exhaust there is, allow for clearance to get the sump out and back in and just buy a jointing sleeve.

Replaced the sump on my daughters 1.2 500 yesterday and finished off the service on it today. Anyway for anyone who may be interested or if they plan on doing this job in the future. I thought I would post what I did. The job was done on the driveway on axle stands. I didn’t disconnect the exhaust from the manifold but cut it approx 40mm from the bend after the cat. I used a small 7 inch wrecking bar to separate the sump from the block. I tapped this in just to the right of the oil pump to avoid any alloy and there is a small area of the block that sticks out so it’s a good place to start. Once I tapped it in I just worked my way around the front edge of the sump levering as I went. after approx 6 inches worth of levering the sump began to break free. After repeating the process for a few inches on the rear it broke free. After giving the block a good clean up with a latex glove over the oil pick up to prevent getting dripped on I refitted the parts, and used a 50.8 mm diameter and 76 mm length stainless steel butt clamp for the exhaust and this was a snug fit. This was used with a smear of gun gum paste around both ends. I’ve attached a couple of photos if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Back