Off Topic Summer Trip

Currently reading:
Off Topic Summer Trip

Just some random pictures. Nothing fancy, just stuff taken with my phone whilst driving :)

View of one of the many viaducts you travel on to get to Chamonix :)
rw7xfr.jpg

Mountains
xe0jmd.jpg

I may have killed an insect or three today.....
2zhecy0.jpg

Parked up at the hotel with Mont Blanc in the background :)
2z6fqet.jpg

Dinner, some rather tasty veal in a creamy mushroom sauce with fries, some baguette and some Evian
34zktpi.jpg

In terms of fuel consumption, the drive down to Folkestone and a little across the border was done at an average speed of about 60mph and I got 49mpg which included a good hour of being lost at around midnight...... Driving through France, well my dad did some of the driving and despite me asking that he keep the speed down just a touch so we could get to chamonix on one tank of fuel, he felt the need to overtake lots of cars and the fuel economy suffered and that part of the leg was done at 45.9mpg which is still good as the air conditioning was on for a good part of the journey.

This mornings fuel up was 10% ethanol fuel as well which might explain the poor fuel economy somewhat, I gather British fuel is only 5% ethanol? Put some Total 98 in this afternoon which doesn't appear to have any ethanol in it (well, it's not labelled as having any in) and I'm doing about 10-15% better in terms of fuel economy, but part of that will be down to the fact that I was doing all the driving on that leg coming into Chamonix. But it is interesting nonetheless.

Just some random pictures. Nothing fancy, just stuff taken with my phone whilst driving :)
Mountains
xe0jmd.jpg

Maxi, so far it sounds like a great trip. Ignore the mileage and have fun and let your dad overtake whoever he wants :) Not having the Sub is a bonus and getting 45-50 is great.

Did you do any hiking in Chamonix ? tried any French wine (i know i know). What is the next stop ?

btw : I hope that is not the hotel in the pic you stayed in ;)

Our hiking kit is almost ready, we have decided on 5 days in mb.

Sorry climbing! I saw the pic of Mont Blanc and fancied having a climb. Right now stuck in ac as its 38 c and all the beaches are packed so i stayed relaxxed.

Flying is poss too - chair lift up and paraglide down.

We saw loads last year in Chamonix coming down from mountains opp MB. Here is a youtube vid (we did not take it btw);

Sounds fun - it's surprising how few 500s you see on the motorways, especially in Italy where it's looked on primarily as a city car.

Yeah, very few here in Germany of course. A lot more in Turin nowadays than when I was here 2 years ago. When we were in chamonix there were looooads on 4x4 Pandas :) Still remember last time in the way down to Turin another 500 passed me doing about a hundred. I just about caught up but mechanical sympathy meant I let him go after a little while. They sure as hell don't hang about :)

Yeah, very few here in Germany of course. A lot more in Turin nowadays than when I was here 2 years ago. When we were in chamonix there were looooads on 4x4 Pandas :) Still remember last time in the way down to Turin another 500 passed me doing about a hundred. I just about caught up but mechanical sympathy meant I let him go after a little while. They sure as hell don't hang about :)

Last year in Luxembourg we came across a group of five French-reg 500 Abarths - the further souped (?suped) up variety - 595 is it? See image of one of them. They were all stopped at a filling station together - passed us later going like the clappers.

Attachments

• Abarth 595.jpg
    Abarth 595.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 9
eek. Texted the wife this morning to ask when the insurance runs out on both cars. Turned out it was 2am this morning. No problem, the wife can call and renew.... Problem, she's lost her voice. Called admiral up and renewed myself and my bank account is now a fair bit lighter and I'm now insured....... Lucky I asked this morning....

"interesting" hotel tonight as my facebook status describes. In Metz which seems rather boring. Might go and see how much that prostitute bear the hotel is..... OR NOT!!!!! :p

"interesting" hotel tonight as my facebook status describes. In Metz which seems rather boring. Might go and see how much that prostitute bear the hotel is..... OR NOT!!!!! :p

We passed Metz early on Monday afternoon on the way to a slightly eccentric B&B just north of Lille. We come up Route 66 (!) along the Moselle valley - the only non-dual-carriageway/motorway stretch of the trip, plagued by speed cameras in the last two or three years - Mulhouse/Epinal/Nancy - stopping to buy the makings of lunch at a wonderful patisserie in Ramonchamp - umpteen different types of bread, beautiful quiche Lorraine (of course), wonderful sickly pastries.

Well, as I said on Facebook, at least the wet looking stain was kind of in the shape of Australia which is kind of sweet and made me feel at home.

looks much the same colour, too :).

I'd be more concerned about what might have bitten me in the night :eek:.

Feeling itchy this morning?

Just to mention, the 500 is surprisingly willing to travel at speed. It seems to run a little out of puff at 60 and then get its second wind at 80. Very strange!

Back