Off Topic Summer Trip

Currently reading:
Off Topic Summer Trip

Last year it was almost in Maxi's shoes on 2000 mile euro trip; lon,dover,dijon,chamonix,turin,stelvios pass,innsbrook,boppard,dunkirk ferry,dover,lon

Best part was Chmonix to Austria via Stelvios pass. Was thinking about highlands but Zurich and the mountains are almost same distance, prob go via Germany. What do you think !!

Last year it was almost in Maxi's shoes on 2000 mile euro trip; lon,dover,dijon,chamonix,turin,stelvios pass,innsbrook,boppard,dunkirk ferry,dover,lon

Best part was Chmonix to Austria via Stelvios pass. Was thinking about highlands but Zurich and the mountains are almost same distance, prob go via Germany. What do you think !!
Funnily enough I'm thinking about doing something similar again with my parents as they're coming over from Australia in about a months time :)

Need to start booking stuff though......

Thinking of Dover-Calais-Chamonix-Somewhere in the north of Italy-Stelvio Pass-Neuschwanstein Castle-Not sure after that :)

Will be in the Subaru this time, or if I buy something else, then that.

I would love to do those roads they did in Top Gear the ones between Davos - St. Moritz- Bormio- Stelvio .

Me and the mr are thinking about a trip to the nurburgring (in his car) as I am still waiting for mine. He has the VW Scirrocco 2.0 TSI with a DSG gearbox so he wants to give it wizz round (y) especially with the launch control. Only tried this a couple of times, with the result being me pushed to the back of my seat with neck ache. So... looking forward to the trip if we manage it, but not the way he drives :)

When you say the Highlands, I take it you mean the Scottish Highlands? I'd love to do this using the CalMac island hopper ticket and visit the Outer Hebrides in the 500 but unfortunately we have to take our big car for family holidays. I did two longish trips in my Volvo last year one up to the Isle of Mull via Oban and the other down to the Ardeche in France and have to say I do enjoy a 'roadtrip'. We used the channel tunnel to France last year (it cost £40 return using Tesco clubcard deals at peak season in Aug) and I have to say what a brilliant service it is. I quite fancy taking the 500 down through the Alps into Italy as well..........what I could really do with is a lottery win and giving up work TBH!!:cool:

When you say the Highlands, I take it you mean the Scottish Highlands? I'd love to do this using the CalMac island hopper ticket and visit the Outer Hebrides in the 500 ...

The 500 would be a lovely car for touring the Highlands; perhaps less ideal for actually getting there though.

If anyone does the trip this year, it'd be nice to see some 500 photos on the Kylesku Bridge & the Bealach-na-Ba.

Funnily enough I'm thinking about doing something similar again with my parents as they're coming over from Australia in about a months time :)

Need to start booking stuff though......

Thinking of Dover-Calais-Chamonix-Somewhere in the north of Italy-Stelvio Pass-Neuschwanstein Castle-Not sure after that :)

Will be in the Subaru this time, or if I buy something else, then that.

Yah, better to book early, look out for 10% off with Hotels.com via various websites.

What if you include Liechtenstein between Stelviois and Neuschwanstein Castle, but that is a lot of windy roads.

Your suggestion of Chamonix was great, thanks. Realy nice hiking, we could have done with 3 days rather than 1.5 days. The town was knowingly expensive – one scumbag place would not let us order a Pizza to share without paying 2euro for an extra plate.

-Stelvio pass was fantastic, although very dirty at the top, another gem was the base when you head down Stelvio (towards Austria). Allocate an hour there for coffee to take the scenery in and bless the mad bikers who loose thier lives, I have done Pyranees on the bike but the bikers in Stelvios are idiots.
-Best part for us was Austria, a good balance of hiking, food, nice people & decent prices !!
-Worst was Boppard - its gone downhill, our saviour was making friends with a restaurant owner who looked after us. We could have done with zero days here :(
-Great steak tartare at a cheap roadside French motel – in fact just frigging amazing, such is French food.

Me and the mr are thinking about a trip to the nurburgring (in his car) as I am still waiting for mine. He has the VW Scirrocco 2.0 TSI with a DSG gearbox so he wants to give it wizz round (y) especially with the launch control. Only tried this a couple of times, with the result being me pushed to the back of my seat with neck ache. So... looking forward to the trip if we manage it, but not the way he drives :)

Sounds great... we had planned a stop at nurburgring on the way back, but after 7 days of driving went straight to Dunkirk from Boppard - just as well as roads were very busy.

When you say the Highlands, I take it you mean the Scottish Highlands? I'd love to do this using the CalMac island hopper ticket and visit the Outer Hebrides in the 500 but unfortunately we have to take our big car for family holidays. I did two longish trips in my Volvo last year one up to the Isle of Mull via Oban and the other down to the Ardeche in France and have to say I do enjoy a 'roadtrip'. We used the channel tunnel to France last year (it cost £40 return using Tesco clubcard deals at peak season in Aug) and I have to say what a brilliant service it is. I quite fancy taking the 500 down through the Alps into Italy as well..........what I could really do with is a lottery win and giving up work TBH!!:cool:

Yes Scottish Highlands, I will have a look at the CalMac, not done that before I presume you can get good B&Bs on the islands - sorry if a stupid assumption. Varieties of Scotch would be great with some Angus :)
Anyway watching you guys for inspiration, but will probably end up flying to Austria via some lastminute deal.

Yes Scottish Highlands, I will have a look at the CalMac, not done that before I presume you can get good B&Bs on the islands - sorry if a stupid assumption. Varieties of Scotch would be great with some Angus :)
Anyway watching you guys for inspiration, but will probably end up flying to Austria via some lastminute deal.

Yes there are some great B & B's on the islands but limited ability so you have to either book in advance or take your chances - a tent is not a bad idea as you can wild camp most places! Here is the link to the Calmac island hopping routes http://www.calmac.co.uk/tickets/island-hopping

We've done both the Mull / Morvern and Mull Ardnamurchan routes and there are some great roads and beautiful scenery and something really exciting about catching a ferry to an island. JR Kitching is right some photos of a 500 on the Bealach-na-Ba (UK's highest public road) over to Applecross would be great - it's on my list!

With due apology to the exceptions, not as good nor as cheap as you might think. I've done this trip many times & love the place - the scenery, wildlife, walking & climbing are fantastic. Three things let the place down in summer - expensive, indifferent food & accommodation, highly variable & unpredictable weather, and midges.

In the remote areas, B&B availability is limited & in high season I've sometimes had to travel 30-40 miles just to find a bed at any price. Best by far to book ahead, especially if travelling June-September. From the weather perspective, May & June are generally the sunniest, driest months - by July the weather usually breaks, & though tempertatures are a bit warmer you will almost certainly have many more wet days than dry ones.

Travelling to the Highlands & Islands in summer without a good supply of effective insect repellent is something you will only ever do once.

With due apology to the exceptions, not as good nor as cheap as you might think. I've done this trip many times & love the place - the scenery, wildlife, walking & climbing are fantastic. Three things let the place down in summer - expensive, indifferent food & accommodation, highly variable & unpredictable weather, and midges.

In the remote areas, B&B availability is limited & in high season I've sometimes had to travel 30-40 miles just to find a bed at any price. Best by far to book ahead, especially if travelling June-September. From the weather perspective, May & June are generally the sunniest, driest months - by July the weather usually breaks, & though tempertatures are a bit warmer you will almost certainly have many more wet days than dry ones.

Travelling to the Highlands & Islands in summer without a good supply of effective insect repellent is something you will only ever do once.

You are right about the weather, we usually go in the Whitsun week - late May or early June but will have to leave it until July this year due to my son's impending exams so we will see. I've been in August and had great weather too, but you definitely don't go to Scotland for the weather - in the words of the Scots 'There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing'. Midges can be a problem, however not so much on the coast and islands where there are fewer trees and more breeze. A good supply of Avon 'Skin-so-soft' usually helps ;);).

I agree that the accomodation can be busy and patchy quality, but do your homework and book ahead, however I completely disagree about the food - there are some great places to eat out, particularly pubs and cafes and some excellent chippies too - well worth trying a deep fried Mars bar if you can find one!!!

Last edited:
Midges can be a problem, however not so much on the coast and islands where there are fewer trees and more breeze.

Breeze, bright sunlight (rare), and altitude are your friends :). I remember one bad night in Glencarron moving my camper up to the top of the Bealach-na-Ba to get away from the pesky things. From experience, Torridon is probably the worst place in the UK & the campsite there is essentially unuseable in the summer months.

I agree that the accomodation can be busy and patchy quality, but do your homework and book ahead, however I completely disagree about the food - there are some great places to eat out, particularly pubs and cafes and some excellent chippies too - well worth trying a deep fried Mars bar if you can find one!!!

Mmmm deep fried mars bars..... I've had a couple in my time and they're looooovely :) There's something strangely nice about slightly fishy tasting chocolate....

In other news I've planned myself out a provisional route :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...5fqlKQ&oq=Prestatyn+LL19&mra=ls&via=3&t=m&z=6

Just need to get the Subaru serviced and the ABS fixed and it should be all fine and dandy. Fuel costs based on 30mpg? £473.66 :eek:

Mmmm deep fried mars bars..... I've had a couple in my time and they're looooovely :) There's something strangely nice about slightly fishy tasting chocolate....

In other news I've planned myself out a provisional route :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...5fqlKQ&oq=Prestatyn+LL19&mra=ls&via=3&t=m&z=6

Just need to get the Subaru serviced and the ABS fixed and it should be all fine and dandy. Fuel costs based on 30mpg? £473.66 :eek:

Nice - I like the 1 day 18hrs duration? Is the fuel cost based on UK prices as I fould that in France last year fuel was about 20p/litre cheaper than in the UK plus the Euro exchange rate will help now.

Nice - I like the 1 day 18hrs duration? Is the fuel cost based on UK prices as I fould that in France last year fuel was about 20p/litre cheaper than in the UK plus the Euro exchange rate will help now.

Yeah there's a fair bit of driving. But I figure that with it being in the Subaru I'll be able to maintain a fair pace and cut down the times. With the 500 I was very conscious of the fact that it's only a tiny little engine and using most of its power for hours on end can't be too good an idea. The Subaru has almost 3 times the power so I'm not so worried with that :)

There is also the option to make Chamonix the southernmost point of the journey and just go back up through France and then pop into Germany from the West rather than the South.

Would mean not seeing this though!

neuschwanstein32520.jpeg

That said, if we didn't go into Italy then it would mean we could go to the Peugeot Museum :chin:

There is also the option to make Chamonix the southernmost point of the journey and just go back up through France and then pop into Germany from the West rather than the South.

Great route, I am tempted again...

Btw. that's a serious drive from Dover to Chamonix, I know it can be done but the last leg will be awful. I guess its only another 60-70 miles from the Lon-Dijon leg we did and you will have the comfy car - cruise control ?

Don't remove the southernmost point of the trip, that is the best part.
You could stop at a farmhouse type place near Lake Como rather than Milan - which is rather boring (in my view) may as well do London one weekend instead before/after the euro trip, loads going on due to Olympics.

How many days are you stopping over at each point ?

Back