stupid question?

Currently reading:
stupid question?

DRIVE ME CRAZY

I shoud'nt be in this section bcause i know zilch about Pcs but can someone tell me about cpu usage 98%usage the pop up tells me,also while roaming the forum my screen locks up something in the background its working like mad .The onlything thats open is this forum is it my norton:confused:
could someone explain to me as if you were talking to a four year old i dont understand anything about computers.

should have i switched the internet off first having pressed alt+ctrl+del abox has come up
user id status client session underneath is
home 0 active console disconnect & logoff on the bottom cannot get rid of box so i'm having to move it around to type this by the way i'm on xp.

should have i switched the internet off first having pressed alt+ctrl+del abox has come up
user id status client session underneath is
home 0 active console disconnect & logoff on the bottom cannot get rid of box so i'm having to move it around to type this by the way i'm on xp.

You can close it or minamize it - in the top right hand corner

There is a series of tabs - your currently on USER
you need the tab that says Processes

When your on there - click the table coloumn labelled CPU
It'll go Smallest first
So click again, and it'll go largest first
The Highest value' process - post it up here

If its anything Norton - click the process to highlight and then End process

Ziggy

the box is inactive and since i've minimised only a ghost the disconnect logoff remains ,the last time this box appeared i had to shut down completely to get rid of it there is other issues with this computer i think it will have to take it to the repair shop ,it had a major meltdown 18months ago lost everything had the machine reserected never been quite right since eg cannot download or use anything wireless thanks for your help but i'm getting nowhere.

If CPU usage is hitting 100% while browsing the forums on an old PC, it's probably due to the Flash banner adverts on here.
The recent versions of Flash are CPU hogs, particularly on old machines.

If you're using Firefox or Chrome as your browser (please say you're not using IE!), then you can install flash blockers which allow you to choose which flash elements to display.
For Chrome I'd recommend this one:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mfidmkgnfgnkihnjeklbekckimkipmoe?hl=en-GB

Back