General Stuck sump

Currently reading:
General Stuck sump

Italy motor

Hi guys thanks for letting me join the forum 👍 my problem is I’ve took all bolts out of oil sump on my 2014 fiat 500 sport but no matter how much I try I can’t get sump off as it’s bonded solid on the silicon is there a way to get it off I’ve tried to cut it with Stanley knife no joy what’s the answer?😁😂

Hi guys ! My problem is just removed eng oil sump bolts but sump won’t seperate from eng due to silicon bonding what’s the best way to get it off as I’ve trife a Stanley knife that didn,t work what,s the answer ive been two days on this as sump leaks like mad 😡??

Large hammer :)

Knock one lower corner.. (leverage)

Are you swapping it because of leaks??

If you hoped to re.use it you may be dissapointed (n)

Hi guys ! My problem is just removed eng oil sump bolts but sump won’t seperate from eng due to silicon bonding what’s the best way to get it off as I’ve trife a Stanley knife that didn,t work what,s the answer ive been two days on this as sump leaks like mad 😡??
Hot air gun? I had one on a Punto, same thing leaking sump, so as new sump to go on hence tried beating sh*t out of the old one with a copper mallet, that and a thin wedge gently levering so as not to damage block finally won the day. Can you insert an old knife on one corner and then bang the back of the blade so it cuts along the silicon joint?

Hot air gun? I had one on a Punto, same thing leaking sump, so as new sump to go on hence tried beating sh*t out of the old one with a copper mallet, that and a thin wedge gently levering so as not to damage block finally won the day. Can you insert an old knife on one corner and then bang the back of the blade so it cuts along the silicon joint?
Correct

An vintage butter knife from a charity shop

There super thin and super tough is what I use

We just make steel or knives like that any more.

Rasputin's sump had to be levered off with a pry bar.. once you find something to act as the pivot.

The edge of the sump de-formed during removal, and I'm not sure it would have sealed again if I wanted to re-use it. Luckily (?) the sump was pitted and leaking through some welds that the previous Neanderthal had applied to cover pin-holes in the sump, so I was changing it because it was FUBAR anyway.

New sumps are not tooooo dear, so if a sump has been on the car for a long time, I would fit a new one automatically, knowing what I do now.

And the old sump will make a great Darth Vader voice-box... ideal when there's Halloween Tricky Treaters coming up.. :D

Ralf S.

A combination of cutting through with a long knife, then slowly levering the sides. If levering it then make sure you push upwards so that the screwdriver doesn't mark the engine side face. Eventually you'll get the lip bent down enough and get more force on to it.

That's only half the battle you'll be pleased to hear, you'll then need to clean up all the old sealant off the engine block.

Back