Technical Struggling starting when warm

Currently reading:
Technical Struggling starting when warm

Neil williams

Hi I’m looking for help with my doblo 1.6 mulitjet starts perfect when cold doesn’t miss a beat but will take a while to start when warm changed cam and crank sensor temp sensor Any ideas please

Hi :)

Any diagnostics performed..?

Or just changed sensors as they were a good starting point..

I would be looking at airleaks ...and fuel pressures

Wants plugging in ideally
I was thinking along same lines with air leaks but then I was thinking if it had air leaks it would struggle when cold but it’s perfect only when warm it struggles there’s no lights coming on on dash just takes a long time to kick up

I was thinking along same lines with air leaks but then I was thinking if it had air leaks it would struggle when cold but it’s perfect only when warm it struggles there’s no lights coming on on dash just takes a long time to kick up
Hi Neil

Did you find the solution to your problem. I am experiencing the same issue, though on a Fiat Punto Twin Air, but the sumptoms are the same....

Kind Regards

Per

Hi Per,

Twinair is technically VERY different to an MJ
Hi Neil

Did you find the solution to your problem. I am experiencing the same issue, though on a Fiat Punto Twin Air, but the sumptoms are the same....

Kind Regards

Per
Tell us more about your punto :)

Had it long..what kind of oils has it had?

My 2012 on 70k miles / 100kms runs really strong still

Hi varesecrazy

I have had it about 8 months. The guy how sold it to me, was very admit about to use the right oil, he just had it serviced with new sparkplugs. It ran fine for ar few months, the startet to be reluctant to start, when the engine is hot. As soon as it has cooled down (1-2 hours) it starts fine.

When it wont start (Hot engine, but not necessarily very hot!), it cranks, and does not ignite (it sounds), this will/can continue many times over. Sometimes it will start, and the engine stutter for a few seconds with very rough sound and few RPMs, no change if you press the accelerator, and then it shouts off. When it eventually gets going, it will do the stutter thing for a while 20-40 sec, and then runs completely normal, full throttle response and no issues what's so ever. When it is going it works normal. The car will smell like gasoline when I have struggled to start it, other wise no gasoline smell.

I have tried a lot to fix it, but still no luck.

I have change:
Oil change (Including an motor wash and filter)
Camshaft sensor (with ECU reset)
Throttel buddy (with ECU reset)
Tried a new set of solenoids

My mechanics has no idea what to do next, he is talking about maybe lack of cumbustion, the valve "lifters" (dot know the right word) or maybe the piston rings. But it does not sound right to me....

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Per

Hi varesecrazy

I have had it about 8 months. The guy how sold it to me, was very admit about to use the right oil, he just had it serviced with new sparkplugs. It ran fine for ar few months, the startet to be reluctant to start, when the engine is hot. As soon as it has cooled down (1-2 hours) it starts fine.

When it wont start (Hot engine, but not necessarily very hot!), it cranks, and does not ignite (it sounds), this will/can continue many times over.

I have tried a lot to fix it, but still no luck.

I have change:
Oil change (Including an motor wash and filter)
Throttel buddy (with ECU reset)
Camshaft sensor (with ECU reset

Tried a new set of solenoids

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Per

Hi Per :)

Top and Bottom Position Sensors (Cam and Crank) very sensible (y)

Oil..should be ok

The spark plugs can have a hard time.. coil packs..maybe with age

Solenoid? Is this the Uniair Injection unit @€1000..??

Or some simpler part?

Sorry, meant coil packs:) Spark plugs was changed 10.000km ago...

My mechanic was also very sure about the problem would be fixed with the changed sensors, but that did not change anything...

What do you think about the compression idea? Anything else I could try/test?

Regards

Per

Sorry, meant coil packs:) Spark plugs was changed 10.000km ago...

My mechanic was also very sure about the problem would be fixed with the changed sensors, but that did not change anything...

What do you think about the compression idea? Anything else I could try/test?

Regards

Per

Generally speaking:

Problems with HOT starting can be the Bottom .CRANK sensor

( ECU senses ZERO motor rotation..injects Zero fuel)
But you smell fuel ?

Uniair module controls the Fuelling..
Is that what you changed?

Yes, I changed the Crank sensor and the camshaft sensor. I do smell fuel.

I have not changed the Uniair module. It is my understanding that it is a pricy, Unless there is a very high possibility for a fix, I would rather avoid changing that...

Could it be a leaking injector? I have read about that someware. But not sure if that is relevant in my case. Up to now, I have been changing parts, with out any real change..

Regards

Per

Yes, I changed the Crank sensor and the camshaft sensor. I do smell fuel.

I have not changed the Uniair module. It is my understanding that it is a pricy, Unless there is a very high possibility for a fix, I would rather avoid changing that...

Could it be a leaking injector? I have read about that someware. But not sure if that is relevant in my case. Up to now, I have been changing parts, with out any real change..

Regards

Per

The Uniair module IS the injector ;)

Its @€1,000 and I do not think this is your problem...

NO SPARK would seem the obvious basic scenario.. but why??

Potentially a sensor doing strange things when HOT..

I have a panda twinair that runs badly arter 1.5 hours on a trip.. butvrestarting RESETS it... so not ypurvproblem

Does your punto show any warning lights?

No errors detected on the ECU by your mechanic??

Last edited:
Ahh Didn’t know that:) Happy you don’t think that is the problem!:)

No spark sounds right to me. But strange it only happens when it is hot. Could be a wonky sensor, but is there others than the crank and cam sensor that would make sense?

I have no warning lights and no fault codes!

Regards

Per

Back