General Strange windshieldwiper problems

Currently reading:
General Strange windshieldwiper problems

bjornt

I will have to start with excusing myself for the bad english, I´m Swedish and not too good with spelling and grammar...

The windshieldwipers on my Fiat Tipo DGT 1,6 is living their own life. After turning them on, its impossible to turn them off. If I shut the entire car off for an our or two they sometimes turn off, but not always. Its really a pain in the ass since i have to pull the fuse to turn them off.

My personal guess is that some relay is messed up, or something is wrong with the switch. Is there even a windshieldwiper relay, and where is it located?

Please help me,
Sincerely Björn

Thanks, I think I found it,

By the way, does anyone know if i can fit 13 inch rims on my Tipo? I bought the car with 14 inch rims, and a friend wants to sell me hes 13 inch wheels with almost new tires for almost nothing, the thing is that he lives very far away and i dont feel like driving that far to find out that they doesn´t fit...

My car is a Fiat Tipo DGT 1,6 -1990

// Björn

1.6.... I don't think the 13 inch wheels will fit over the brakes on the 1.6. Depends if you have 240mm or 257mm discs.

I think the Cento's with 240mm discs can fit under 13s.. but to go to 257mm discs they need 14" wheels.

What car are they from? they need to be 4x98 with correct centre bore 58.6mm I think, and will need the correct offset to stop it rubbing against the caliper or the suspension strut.

1.6.... I don't think the 13 inch wheels will fit over the brakes on the 1.6. Depends if you have 240mm or 257mm discs.

I think the Cento's with 240mm discs can fit under 13s.. but to go to 257mm discs they need 14" wheels.

What car are they from? they need to be 4x98 with correct centre bore 58.6mm I think, and will need the correct offset to stop it rubbing against the caliper or the suspension strut.

The weels comes from an old Tipo too, the 1,4 litre, so they would fit on the centre. I guess the only way to know for sure is to measure the discs :(

Probably, unless you want to visit your friend for a social visit.

Haha, yeah thats true..
Back to the other problem, I´ve now replaced the windshieldwiper relay, it was located right where you said it would be, but the problem still remains. Maybe the problem is in the on/off switch?? (I dont know the english term, the shaft to the right of the steeringwheel )

I have 257 discs on my 92 tipo 1.4 and 13" rims fit! Facelift models have different brake calipers (257mm discs also) and I'm not sure about them!!

About the wiper problem - you may find that the problem is in the right-hand stalk assembly, the switches can dry out or develop short-circuits. This is common on the left-hand stalk, often there is a clicking with the indicator circuit. You may be able to overhaul the switch, or find a replacement. Note that the stalks are different for airbag and non-airbag cars.

About the wheels - I ran Mk2 (Facelift) Tipo 1.4's with 13" alloys (standard = 14" steel) and there were no issues with the brakes - and the 1.6's are the same as the 1.4s in nearly all respects. So 13" wheels from an early Tipo should fit perfectly.

Thank's for all the help.

I just tried removing the right hand stalk, I turned on the ingnition and the windshield wipers still went on :confused: Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really have no idea what the problem could be.

1.4 Tipos were 240mm disc. 1.6 could be 257mm and they may not fit under the 13" wheel.

I switched the brake discs from a 94'' tipo - 1.6 to 1.4 Carb tipo 92''. They were the same! Although the calipers were different! In the parts store when you look for a brake discs for 1.4 tipo they offer you a 257mm disc.

Thank's for all the help.

I just tried removing the right hand stalk, I turned on the ingnition and the windshield wipers still went on :confused: Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really have no idea what the problem could be.

There is a relay bolted to the wiper motor, usually this is the problem

Back