General Strange Tipo Steam Issue

Currently reading:
General Strange Tipo Steam Issue

TipoDGT

Hi everyone,:)
Recently inherited a 1991 Fiat Tipo 1.4 DGT (74,600 genuine miles) 9months MOT, off of my Father who sadly passed away recently.

Up until recently the Teapot has been starting fine, however, recently, I have had an issue where the Teapot is difficult to start but does start with a lot of revving! I have also noticed a bit of steam coming out of the radiator grille (around the radiator expansion tank area) but goes quickly. I have put this down to the damp weather in the UK? although the Teapot is Garaged.
Once the Teapot is at temprature, the engine is smooth and quiet and is a real pleasure to drive and I am really learning to love my Teapot LOL!
I have tried tweaking the cold idle screw to improve tick over when cold but this has made no difference.:bang:
Please excuse my ignorance with regard to the above:confused: but I am not a mechanically mined person:eek:
I am wondering if the car is missing my Dad LOL
Thanks for any advice you can give with regard to the above.
ROB.:)

Hello Rob, and welcome,

the 1st BIG question is are you 100% sure it's not losing coolant..from the rad.. / or elsewhere,
check the level in the garage = COLD,
then do the same again after a few trips - level shouldn't move at all..!!

I loved my old Tipots,
petrol like yours , and the mighty 2.0 TD's ..fantastic.. really liked the way they drove.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this..,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,:)
Thank you for your response, will check hoses(condition and connections), and general condition of Radiator etc...
Will re-post if I find anything unusual:eek:
Kind regards,
Rob.:)

Head gasket?

I hope not, bit I think it likely. I once had a 1.4ies that displayed these symptoms and sure as eggs are eggs.............you know it. :idea:

Unless it has been recently done, you should get the whole cooling system properly flushed and refilled with new antifreeze, it is cheap and easy to change the thermostat at the same time.

I don't think head gaskets are a problem on these cars unless something goes wrong somewhere else, they are a robust engine but check if the cambelt is due for replacing too....

Hope it goes well.

Hi from Argentina!
Is Tipo DGT i.e or ''carburated''?
I'm agree with SFB's comment, the fouled plugs could be the problem.

bluejohn125 we don't know how his dad used that Tipo, maybe had a reheated and wasted the head gasket. That produces two common issues in this cars: mix of water and oil, or water goes throug de cooling system to de combustion camera.

(Tell me if i'm writing something wrong, i'm not used to write technical english haha)

(

Back