Technical help me, exhaust problem

Currently reading:
Technical help me, exhaust problem

huaweiideos

hello,
I've got a serious problem, accidentally disrupted lambda sensor, the sensor with 3 wires before the catalyst cistern...
anyone can tell me what problems will disrupted sensor cause?!

I suspect the last of the production may have, as my 1994 tempra did ; - ).
Did your Tempra have a "catalyst cistern" as well? :D

with ZERO signal from the Lambda probe, the vehicle SHOULD go into " limp-home"
resulting in ;
lack of power / performance
I've replaced faulty lambda sensors on 4 different vehicle makes in the last three years,
(Mitsubishi, Seat, Opel, Peugeot) but none of them went into limp mode.

( @SFB may say his Tipo doesn't have these either..!!)
My faithful and totally rust free 91 - 1.4 Tipo has electronic ignition............ y hasta.

Last edited:
Simple answer.

The Fiat Tipo doesn't have a lambda sensor.

Problem solved. (y)

My Tipo 1.4ie DGT '1989 and my Tipo 1.4ie SX from 1995 both have a lambda sensor
biggrin.gif
....Maybe the carburettor versions does not have it...?

My Tipo 1.4ie DGT '1989 and my Tipo 1.4ie SX from 1995 both have a lambda sensor
biggrin.gif
....Maybe the carburettor versions does not have it...?
Thanks, that's news to me and Haynes Workshop Manual, where no lambda sensor is mentioned.
I also bought a lambda sensor free 1989 1.6 DGT for spares.
Both of mine have carburettors, so you're probably right.

Do the cars you mention have "catalyst cisterns" as well?

Note to self: Never consider buying anything other than the carburettor version Tipo.

Last edited:
To clarify,
a catalytic convertor (or cat) and lamda sensor would only be fitted to a car with fuel injection, but a fuel injected car would not necessarily have a cat and lamda sensor. No carburettored car would have a lamda sensor/cat fitted as standard equipment because a cat requires better and more precise fuel regulation that only fuel injection can provide.

All 1.4/1.6 petrol Tipo's upto 1992 in the UK had carburettors. Single point fuel injection and cats were introduced in 1992 on late MK1 Tipos. All Mk2 petrol tipos in the UK would have had single point fuel injection and Cats/ lamda sensors.

Since DGT models were phased out and replaced with Tipos with similar specs but without the digital dash in early 1992, with the exception of the 1.6 SX and the 1.9 tdSX Mk1 Tipos, which did still retain the digital dash, it is unlikely that, in the UK at least any DGT models had a cat and lamda sensor or fuel injection.

Just to confuse things, other markets had Tipo's fitted with single point fuel injection from the cars launch in January 1988.

Last edited:
Back