General Tipo 1.4 running problem!

Currently reading:
General Tipo 1.4 running problem!

seantipo

Hi I am new here, although I have owned Tipo's and been a Tipo fan for many years. Infact since they were launched in 1988!

I have a problem with the Tipo I currently drive. Its a 1.4 carburettor model with a manual choke, registered in 1989 on a F plate with around 55K miles. If I start it when the engine is hot it runs very rough and will stall as soon as the engine revs drop at road junctions etc.

It starts and runs from cold perfectly, only needing minimal choke, but its like a different car when started from hot. The only way I can keep it running is to use lots of choke to increase the idle speed to stop it stalling.

It has a basic electronic set up, with some kind of ECU on the distributor and also an electronic box inside the near side front wing. Could this be at fault as the plugs are clean and it runs well?

can anyone shed any light on this problem? :eek:

Many thanks!

Your Tipo has a basic Magnetti Marelli inductive discharge electronic ignition system.
To the best of mine and Haynes knowledge, it shouldn't be affected by a hot engine.

The "electronic box inside the near side front wing" is a fuel cut-off module.

I've only ever encountered the problem you describe on coked up aircooled engines that hadn't been driven hard enough.

Last edited:
Hi Thanks for the reply. Doing a bit of research, the electronic unit on the distributor is described elsewehere as an ignition amplifier. As the unit in the front wing appears to be a fuel cut off as you say, then is it worth replacing the amplifier as a matter or elimination, as its not hugely expensive, or do you think that would be a waste of time.

This is probable not an electronic problem but a matter of a wrong fuel and air mixture. Consider cleaning the carburator or do an carburator "overhaull".

If it is a temperature problem try changing the temp sensor on the back of the inlet manifold (if your car has one). My later SPi 1.4 cars had problems if this or the wiring to it became dodgy. This feeds into the ECU so if yours only has an electronic ignition type system then it may not have this sensor.

With an old car you also need to look for other things that have cracked or decayed, but it seems like a sensor / electrical problem.

Hi Thanks for the reply. Doing a bit of research, the electronic unit on the distributor is described elsewehere as an ignition amplifier. As the unit in the front wing appears to be a fuel cut off as you say, then is it worth replacing the amplifier as a matter or elimination, as its not hugely expensive, or do you think that would be a waste of time.
The process of elimination method is very amateurish and can end up being unnecessarily expensive.
My advice is to let a professional have a look, it's probably a simple fix.

NB: Your car has no ECU.

Back