Technical stop/start

Currently reading:
Technical stop/start

Does start/stop take much getting used to? I'm used to my old Beetle, and if the engine cuts out when you stop, you can pretty much guarentee you're not starting again very easily.. I think it's going to panic me for quite some time when I get mine..

Does start/stop take much getting used to? I'm used to my old Beetle, and if the engine cuts out when you stop, you can pretty much guarentee you're not starting again very easily.. I think it's going to panic me for quite some time when I get mine..

You'll get on just fine with it. Mine does exactly what it says on the tin.

I too SO need to disable S&S full time. I forgot to do it this morning and pulled up at the first set of lights. I guess the car had decided that it wasn't quite the right time to shut the engine off and kept it running, so it lulled me into a false sense of security. I suspected nothing. Then just as the lights changed, the car stopped the engine and this happened at the same instant that I was putting it into gear. I therefore managed to get it into gear with the clutch engaged and the engine not running. So that's me not going anywhere because I suppose the engine wouldn't restart whilst in gear.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to dip the clutch again and the engine started, but I could so easily have been sat at the lights with a traffic queue behind me, wondering why the engine had stalled. Darn thing's a menace. There must be a fuse I can pull....?

This will probably be the only reason I get rid of the car in a couple of years time.

Found an interested and potentially dangerous fault with the SS system in my Ypsilon the other day. Always wondered what would happen if during the engine being stopped (in SS mode), you engaged a gear, obviously without pressing the clutch pedal (thus avoiding restarting the engine)? I had assumed an error message would appear on the dash saying SS deactivated (like it does when one of the doors are opened during SS operation) but this is not the case.

So I then stayed in the car until the SS system decided to restart the engine (presumably when the battery voltage started dropping), propelling the car forward violently as it was in gear!

I know it was a bit of a silly experiment but on a more serious note, this particular scenario should be allowed to occur as it could potentially be dangerous.

Found an interested and potentially dangerous fault with the SS system in my Ypsilon the other day. Always wondered what would happen if during the engine being stopped (in SS mode), you engaged a gear, obviously without pressing the clutch pedal (thus avoiding restarting the engine)? I had assumed an error message would appear on the dash saying SS deactivated (like it does when one of the doors are opened during SS operation) but this is not the case.

So I then stayed in the car until the SS system decided to restart the engine (presumably when the battery voltage started dropping), propelling the car forward violently as it was in gear!

I know it was a bit of a silly experiment but on a more serious note, this particular scenario should be allowed to occur as it could potentially be dangerous.

That is bit silly. Dangerous I agree

Putting in safety systems for people putting cars into gear without the clutch down (Forcing it) is no more important than protecting against people releasing the handbrake on a hill. Ie Pointless.You cannot always cater for ignorance and protecting against someone trying to put a car into gear without the clutch is ignorance in my book.

Manufacturers can only be expected to go so far to protect idiots from their own stupidity.

Darwinian evolution should take care of the rest.

Manufacturers can only be expected to go so far to protect idiots from their own stupidity.

Darwinian evolution should take care of the rest.

whilst I generally agree, I think this is one if those cases where s&s shouldn't be able to engage.

Putting in safety systems for people putting cars into gear without the clutch down (Forcing it) is no more important than protecting against people releasing the handbrake on a hill. Ie Pointless.You cannot always cater for ignorance and protecting against someone trying to put a car into gear without the clutch is ignorance in my book.

Whilst I can see your point of view, your handbrake analogy doesn't make sense - the action of releasing the handbrake has an immediate and noticeable reaction. Selected a gear with the engine 'not running' and clutch not engaged requires no 'forcing' and whilst I accept it's not going to happen very often, it is certainly possible. In this situation the consequences of doing this will not be known until the SS system decides to restart the engine.

Last edited:
whilst I generally agree, I think this is one if those cases where s&s shouldn't be able to engage.

I agree, irrespective of whether the experiment was silly or not, that this should not be allowed to happen.

I always assumed that there was a gear lever position sensor that would ensure that unless the car was in neutral the S&S would not activate, but obviously this is not the case. :confused:

I agree, irrespective of whether the experiment was silly or not, that this should not be allowed to happen.

I always assumed that there was a gear lever position sensor that would ensure that unless the car was in neutral the S&S would not activate, but obviously this is not the case. :confused:

The ECU knows when and in which gear it's in so it would appear just to be a scenario that the SS programmers failed to cater for - would be an easy firmware fix for them if they wanted/needed to remedy it.

How? It's not something done on the manual box normally, only the auto dualogics. ECU has no need to know what gear the car is in, except for reverse.

My manual Caravelle knows which gear it's in. It says on the clocks.

Also what happened on the upsilon is not the same as my 500
My 500 will say "depress clutch pedal" during the same circumstances.

I reckon a in gear sensor must be faulty on the Chrysler.

Back