Technical stop/start

Currently reading:
Technical stop/start

It's not the slowing down that's the issue - it's the heat build up and the time it takes to dissipate - the turbo on my Ypsilon TA has been glowing before after a particularly spirited run.

Interestingly, when I aired my concerns to one of the technicians at the dealership, he was in agreement about turning of SS for this reason.

Guess it doesn't matter if you don't plan to keep the car long term - it'll be some other poor bugger that has to forkout for a new turbo at lowish miles!

Serves you right for using time travel.

Agree. Don't get why people don't want it (assuming it works 100% of course). Since driving a couple of S&S equipped Punto Evo's I now stop the 500 and now the Panda whenever I come to a standstill. Why burn petrol when you don't need to? Seems a bit like having your central heating on and then opening the windows when it gets too warm.

I think it's somewhat selfish to think "well I get cheap road tax either way so screw the environment and lets burn oil needlessly" some of us are in our 20's and would like to be able to enjoy driving cars powered by old animals well into the future. If you think the pleasure of idling at the lights is worth wasting fuel for then I think you need to get a better hobby :)

Thanks Maxi for giving me yet another giggle! Just to remind you, this is a forum for discussion and others opinions - deal with it!

Personally, I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about burning a relativley small amount of fuel when I'm sat idling and I absolutely don't give a monkey's what you or anyone else thinks about it. No difference really to smokers who spend seven quid on a packet of fags and watch it go up in cancerous toxins! (y)

As far as I'm concerned, the average cow in a field munching grass all day, will probably produce more greenhouse gasses than our own 500 will do on a weekly basis. And, if anyone thinks that they'll contribute significant savings in fuel with their engine shut off at traffic lights for a minute or so, I think you'd be surprised at just how little difference it will make on an individual basis. Granted, millions of cars all with stop/start, might make a bit of a difference, but that is going to take years to have any long term effects.

Last edited:
Thanks Maxi for giving me yet another giggle! Just to remind you, this is a forum for discussion and others opinions - deal with it!

Personally, I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about burning a relativley small amount of fuel when I'm sat idling and I absolutely don't give a monkey's what you or anyone else thinks about it. No difference really to smokers who spend seven quid on a packet of fags and watch it go up in cancerous toxins! (y)

As far as I'm concerned, the average cow in a field munching grass all day, will probably produce more greenhouse gasses than our own 500 will do on a weekly basis. And, if anyone thinks that they'll contribute significant savings in fuel with their engine shut off at traffic lights for a minute or so, I think you'd be surprised at just how little difference it will make on an individual basis. Granted, millions of cars all with stop/start, might make a bit of a difference, but that is going to take years to have any long term effects.

So what you're saying is that it's OK to kill the odd person because the average African warlord kills more people ever day?

I'm sorry Frupi, but you're merely doing it because it's what you want to do, not because there's any actual reason why you'd want to do that.

So what you're saying is that it's OK to kill the odd person because the average African warlord kills more people every day?

I'm sorry Frupi, but you're merely doing it because it's what you want to do, not because there's any actual reason why you'd want to do that.

No Maxi, you're the one using the words "It's OK to kill the odd person because the average African warlord kills more people every day? Where in any post did I ever say those words? What an absolutely childish analogy! Absolute utter tosh and has no relevance to this subject whatsoever.

Like I said Maxi, this is a forum for discussion and others opinions - deal with it. :rolleyes:

It's not my fault you don't like my reasoning. That is something you just can't accept and I'm not bothered in the slightest. Give it a rest. (y)

Last edited:
Frupi, it's far more childish to say "I'm going to do it because that's what I want to do" than to admit that what your doing makes fundamentally no sense.....

Facepalm! :bang:

Maxi, as you get older, your opinions in life may change somewhat. I am much older than you are and I am entitled to my own opinions whether you agree with them or not.

Facepalm! :bang:

Maxi, as you get older, your opinions in life may change somewhat. I am much older than you are and I am entitled to my own opinions whether you agree with them or not.

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, just that it made no sense :)

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, just that it made no sense :)

And sadly Maxi, you just don't seem to get the fact, I actually really couldn't care less what you think about my opinions or what my reasoning or sense behind them is (non sensical or otherwise).

Sometimes, instead of questioning others ideals or your perceived morals behind the writers text, you should perhaps learn to accept that some individuals such as I, will never meet or exceed your own values. That my friend, is life. And life is often flawed.

Now where is that methane producing cow?.........:devil:

And sadly Maxi, you just don't seem to get the fact, I actually really couldn't care less what you think about my opinions or what my reasoning or sense behind them is (non sensical or otherwise).

Sometimes, instead of questioning others ideals or your perceived morals behind the writers text, you should perhaps learn to accept that some individuals such as I, will never meet or exceed your own values. That my friend, is life. And life is often flawed.

I accept what you're saying, I was simply stating my opinion which is that yours doesn't make any logical sense :)

For someone who doesn't care what Maxi says or thinks, you sure go on at him a lot.

I accept what you're saying, I was simply stating my opinion which is that yours doesn't make any logical sense :)

It doesn't make any sense in your opinion Maxi. Tough, deal with it. Some of the stuff you post I find utterly inane, but I wouldn't necessarily wish to rip up everything you post for toilet paper, that would be downright rude!

Actually, much of what you post is very, very good, but sometimes...... (y)

You're absolutely correct Robin, I don't. But you clearly do by mentioning it.

I just think your post, as small as it was, was just a little tinsy wincy bit one sided! But I don't care though, really! :p

Absolutely - in fact I generally only post when I care about something. I just find it fascinating that you have bothered to post eight times when you say that you don't give a damn....

0_22_062105_wind.jpg

Yup, fair point Robin, but still, I really don't give a damn! Nothing wrong with sticking up for oneself though when someone else finds it necessary to pontificate unnecessarily.

Nice picture by the way. (y)

SS is ok for town driving but shockingly bad for turbo longetivity on the TA & MJ after a motorway jaunt or spirited drive. Imagine suddenly cutting the oil supply to the hot bearings of the turbo that has just been spinning at 120,000rpm+ which is what happens when SS engages when say pull into a service area - extremely bad for the long term life of the turbo.
This is why you should always let any turbo charged car idle for a couple of minutes before turning off after high speed/stress usage (many tuned turbo cars have a timer to facilitate this) - lets the temperature of the turbo drop before the oil pressure drops when the engine is turned off.

For this reason I *always* disengage SS on a motorway run.

Whilst I agree with this, a couple of minutes at idle isn't going to cool the exhaust housing (and manifold - they're one piece on the TA, not sure about the MJ) down significantly enough to make any real difference.

This is why the turbo bearing housing is water cooled, it's actually something that comes into operation when the engine is stopped, convection through the turbo water housing causes a thermosyphon moving water through the housing to cool it down.

Modern synthetic oils are considerably better than the oils used in the past that simply couldn't cope with the high temperatures the bearing cartridge gets to in normal use, let alone arduous driving.

I suspect FIAT's test cycles with Stop/Start will also have included high speed>standstill cycles - it's a pretty normal thing to do to check that the cooling system can cope - so nothing new there. Couple that with hot climate testing, and you'll actually see that most cars are pretty seriously over engineered with a good safety margin.

Of course, this relies on regular oil and filter changing, and not *deliberately* abusing the car!

Back