Technical Steering 'ticking' noise - dealer says new column!

Currently reading:
Technical Steering 'ticking' noise - dealer says new column!

The Twins

Established member
My steering has recently developed a soft clicking noise when turned. Almost like the sound of a relay clicking or a spring being un wound. It's not loud, it's quite a soft click.
It sounds like a clock spring issue to me but dealer says it could be the 'torque sensor' and has ordered a new column! Anyone else experienced similar noise?

Last edited:
So whats the remedy,
Torque Sensor,
Motor ?,
Column??

just so we know,
Charlie
They just said whole column comes as one unit so to replace the whole lot us the fix.
I still think its the clock spring myself as it does it more on clockwise turn and its a quick tick,tick,tick noise. Just like a coiled spring sound.

Last edited:
Start car up get a friend to slowly turn the wheel lock to lock very carefully place your hand / fingers on the front springs they should move smoothly if you can feel one twanging in time to the noise its a seized strut top bearing

Thanks Andy. No noise from the top mounts of springs. The noise is from the column.

Mine has just started doing this every time I turn the wheel anti clockwise, sounds exactly as you say, like a spring coil. I'll let the dealer know when I take it in for a new coil on Thursday.

Mine has just started doing this every time I turn the wheel anti clockwise, sounds exactly as you say, like a spring coil. I'll let the dealer know when I take it in for a new coil on Thursday.

It'll be interesting to know what they say.
I have to admit, on closer listening the sound does seem to originate half way down the column. The clock spring us just behind the wheel.

Back