Technical Power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering

Choppy

Hi so ive bought a 2008 fiat 500 a couple of months ago for my first car. Iva had to have a new clutch and yesterday i had to put a new battery in the car because the other one was flat and died when i would take the key out.

Now when i reversed the car off the drive the steering wheel locked which made it hard to steer. And today when i started the car up the steering wheel was still locked and on the dash it says check power steering in handbook.

When i bought the car i wasn’t given a handbook so i have no idea.

Ive been told (buy a non mechanic) it because i over steer and thats why its done it and told its the battery or another problem.

I would love if someone could help me understand why i would be happening.

Hi so ive bought a 2008 fiat 500 a couple of months ago for my first car. Iva had to have a new clutch and yesterday i had to put a new battery in the car because the other one was flat and died when i would take the key out.

Now when i reversed the car off the drive the steering wheel locked which made it hard to steer. And today when i started the car up the steering wheel was still locked and on the dash it says check power steering in handbook.

When i bought the car i wasn’t given a handbook so i have no idea.

Ive been told (buy a non mechanic) it because i over steer and thats why its done it and told its the battery or another problem.

There are several threads on Forum relating to the correct battery and sequence when fitting , though especially if you have "stop/start" system.
However earth wires from battery to chassis/engine and ECU are all points worth checking .
If you can get the Error codes read it may shed more light on the power steering issue, possibly related to the battery having been disconnected but also may be due to the other work on the clutch and electronically telling the ECU what the steering is doing, more so if no steering problems before clutch and battery jobs.
By the way "over steering" being the cause is bo**oks.;)
Others on Forum will have more specific knowledge relating to this.:)

ALSO happens a lot if the cars main battery earth strap is corroded and in poor condition!, this is the most likely cause of your issues!. Its easy to change and only a few quid! to buy! .
You have to take the battery out and remove the battery tray to gain access to the strap,- they can break but this is unlikely and you would loose all power! its more likely its full of green corrosion leading to poor conductivity and error messages from the E C U,s the power steering is a area that is most often effected!

Hi, did you fugure this out?

Back