Technical Battery light on and no power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Battery light on and no power steering

Neil McDonald

I have a 2020 1.2 with start/stop.
When the car is started all is normal but after 2 minutes exactly the battery warning light comes on and I loose power steering.
I’ve checked the battery and connection’s and the earth straps all ok the alternator was only giving 13.5 volts so I fitted a new alternator which now gives 14.1 volts but the problem still persists.
Can anyone help please ?

Do you think changing the Alternator has confused the system? Maybe the battery needs re-registering or something. I take it you’ve not changed the battery?

I have a 2020 1.2 with start/stop.
When the car is started all is normal but after 2 minutes exactly the battery warning light comes on and I loose power steering.
I’ve checked the battery and connection’s and the earth straps all ok the alternator was only giving 13.5 volts so I fitted a new alternator which now gives 14.1 volts but the problem still persists.
Can anyone help please ?

Hi 🙂

The PAS needs an excellent electrical supply, so your fault is likely to be Alternator / Battery (not PAS)

The Small cables on battery terminals are battery sensors. Potential for them to be giving issues 🤔

SOMETHING is obviously cutting in / out after 120 seconds..

Is this a constant..?

Same hot and cold, etc.. 🤔

Hi 🙂

The PAS needs an excellent electrical supply, so your fault is likely to be Alternator / Battery (not PAS)

The Small cables on battery terminals are battery sensors. Potential for them to be giving issues 🤔

SOMETHING is obviously cutting in / out after 120 seconds..

Is this a constant..?

Same hot and cold, etc.. 🤔
Yes it is constant whether hot or cold - start the engine everything fine then 120 seconds later the battery light comes on and power steering lost.

Voltage is 14.1 v when running and still at 14.1v after battery warning light comes on.

Original battery 4 years old has been tested and ok.

There are 2 small cables that plug into a little box on the earth terminal - do you know what these do ?

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
There are 2 small cables that plug into a little box on the earth terminal - do you know what these do ?
Battery condition sensor..

INITIAL QUESTION..
DOES THE STOP START WORK?

IF it does..
I would physically onbolt this sensor

Start car with it isolated 🙂(inside a rubber glove..)

Still the same after 3 minutes..?

Turn off car engine

Reconnect it.. See if there is any change

Battery condition sensor..

INITIAL QUESTION..
DOES THE STOP START WORK?

IF it does..
I would physically onbolt this sensor

Start car with it isolated 🙂(inside a rubber glove..)

Still the same after 3 minutes..?

Turn off car engine

Reconnect it.. See if there is any change
Start stop doesn’t work.
I’ve tried just disconnecting the plug on the 2 small cables to the negative terminal and this doesn’t have any effect

I NEVER trust battery tests. Ive had too many good tests from DUff batteries. Can you try a donor battery. I would bet money that IS the root of this. I tested my own battery a year or so back and it passed everything and looked fine. While it appeared to have over 12v and stayed looking good for 2 weeks after it was replaced, it was in fact as dead as a dodo. Stop start unavailable makes me very suspicious of it. Daughters car battery looked OK and was dead, changed earleir this year at just a shade over its 3 year warranty period.

When you start the car does it say ss unavailable? With the sensor connected?
It doesn’t say ss unavailable when I start the car or when the battery light comes on.
Only when I stall the engine. (With sensor connected)
Just noticed that the speed limiter failure is also showing.

I NEVER trust battery tests. Ive had too many good tests from DUff batteries. Can you try a donor battery. I would bet money that IS the root of this. I tested my own battery a year or so back and it passed everything and looked fine. While it appeared to have over 12v and stayed looking good for 2 weeks after it was replaced, it was in fact as dead as a dodo. Stop start unavailable makes me very suspicious of it. Daughters car battery looked OK and was dead, changed earleir this year at just a shade over its 3 year warranty period.
Going to try fitting a battery off another car some time tomorrow afternoon

Tried fitting battery and battery sensor
( luckily off a donor car ) - still got the problem.

Went to an auto electrician, he found the problem in no time. There was a break in the LAN cable from the alternator to the ECU. Traced the break to a location approx 9” from the ECU in the wiring loom, made a quick repair and all good now.
No obvious reason for the break in the cable like water ingress or mechanical damage. He said probably caused because the ECU is fixed to the bodywork / battery tray and the cable fixed to engine block so there is movement on the cable whenever the engine moves. I think we all know about the quality of Fiats cables !
So I’ve replaced a good alternator and spent a few days messing about. Should have gone to auto electrician first.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing !

That’s the risk in trying to diagnose faults yourself, we can all pay someone to come and fix stuff. No point in beating yourself up about it, you win some you lose some. As @John202020 said, we’ve all been there!

At least you have a spare alternator to add to your ever increasing spares cache! ( we all have one-goes with fiat ownership!) mine includes coil packs,throttle body, and an inlet manifold!😂 for the uneducated amongst us what is a LAN cable please! 🤔

Back