General Lights on steering wheel

Currently reading:
General Lights on steering wheel

Cshaw1355

Anyone got any idea what would be causing my steering wheel lights to not work when the headlights are on
Also the window button lights are not lighting up and the USB port isn't lighting
20230923_201447.jpg

Anyone got any idea what would be causing my steering wheel lights to not work when the headlights are on
Also the window button lights are not lighting up and the USB port isn't lighting
View attachment 430303
How strange? Fuse maybe? Are the buttons working ok with the stereo ect?

All the buttons are working perfectly
And I can't find a fuse on any of the diagrams that I have see that have got anything to do with them
It’s strange it’s only happening when your headlights are turned on! Did it just happen suddenly? It’s not something I’ve heard of before….. have you had any sort of work done recently… new battery? What sort of shape is your hatch wiring in? That’s a well known fault on 500s and if wires break can give you all sorts of issues

It’s strange it’s only happening when your headlights are turned on! Did it just happen suddenly? It’s not something I’ve heard of before….. have you had any sort of work done recently… new battery? What sort of shape is your hatch wiring in? That’s a well known fault on 500s and if wires break can give you all sorts of issues
Well I've never actually seen them turn on and I'm guessing that they are only supposed to turn on when I have the headlights on.
The boot hatch wiring all looks good so no problems there.
And the only thing I've had done is a new radio
I put the 7" uconnect radio in but can't say I ever noticed them working before I changed the radio

Well I've never actually seen them turn on and I'm guessing that they are only supposed to turn on when I have the headlights on.
The boot hatch wiring all looks good so no problems there.
And the only thing I've had done is a new radio
I put the 7" uconnect radio in but can't say I ever noticed them working before I changed the radio
They are basically on all the time …. Regardless of if the headlights are on or not and there is no on or off switch they are just illuminated

My guess … and it’s just a guess .. is that it’s happened after the stereo was changed! It’s too much of a coincidence.. maybe one of the plugs has not been pushed in all the way behind the stereo

They are basically on all the time …. Regardless of if the headlights are on or not and there is no on or off switch they are just illuminated

My guess … and it’s just a guess .. is that it’s happened after the stereo was changed! It’s too much of a coincidence.. maybe one of the plugs has not been pushed in all the way behind the stereo
the plugs are all in correctly and the radio works perfectly
Later I'm going to try putting the old radio back in just to see if they light up or not

I'm not too sure I have replaced the 2 bulbs under the heater controls
I have found that when one of these things goes the rest follow very rapidly so if you have other bulbs I would do the lot. I do find the dealer is really good with this sort of thing. They did my Bravo's dash lights in 15 minutes while I waited and charged next to nothing. Better than Mitsubishi who wanted £15 for the bulb in the rear window lock off switch, back in 1983. I think that is the only part I hav ever just left broken on a car in around 50 years.

The illumination of the steering wheel controls are tiny led chips so no chance of changing unless you get a second hand set! They are easy to swap but the airbag has to be removed so it’s an involved task
But what are the chances all the chips have failed!!?

I thought, could be wrong, the radio(on button), mirror switch, window switches, all light up with the key, the others when the lights are on? Is this the same for the steering controls or only with the headlights?
I'll assume that the switches(windows/mirrors/radio) light up when the power is applied at start up?

I thought, could be wrong, the radio(on button), mirror switch, window switches, all light up with the key, the others when the lights are on? Is this the same for the steering controls or only with the headlights?
I'll assume that the switches(windows/mirrors/radio) light up when the power is applied at start up?
Seems to depend on the model. On my 2013 500C Lounge all the lights; steering wheel, stereo, AC/heater, window, roof and mirror switches come on and stay on regardless of the headlights. The only thing that changes when the headlights are turned on is the binnacle instrument lights come up as well. If I remember correctly (it's been a while!) when my wife had the 2013 500C Pop the lights only came on with the headlights switched on.

Back