Technical Starter Motor woes

Currently reading:
Technical Starter Motor woes

Hi

The front wheel is obscuring a good view.. but access is ok with it still there
(Just a plastic cover in the way..)

Once the belt is removed from pulley..
You can spin the alternator by hand.. then turn it slowly..feeling for a notychness..

Should be all smooth and free spinning..
I find this simpler than attempting to slacken and retension the belt in a conventional 'undo the alternator' way

This keeps the tension 'as set' :)

The pulley is held on with 3 bolts..and there is a very small hole in 1 position

This lines up with a tiny pin

Thats your alignment ;)

Images all over the forum.. FIRE engine been around for decades :)

'Heres one I prepared earlier..' ;)
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-guides/437184-panda-8-valve-cambelt-change.html?437184=#post4158423

Hi,

You were right, wish you had given this advice at the beginning.

I put the new starter motor in (arrived yesterday afternoon) and it struggled.

So I did exactly as you said (removing the pulley) then put the belt to the side and replaced the pulley (with 3 bolts) and the car started first time.

The alternator does not move at all.

Thanks for the good advice.

However now the alternator seems very difficult to remove as I have an aircon motor above the alternator in the way of the top bolt.

Any suggestions on how to replace this alternator?

Thank you for educating me on repairing the Panda.

Regards
Tim

I looked when you 1st posted....and you were doing all the correct tests for 'normal'issues :)

It was reading of several US 500 owners posting about bad alternators that got me to mention it..

How did you try and turn the alternator..? Big spanner on the spindle nut.. or just by hand..??

Alternator instructions on your other thread.

All non start issues should follow the same pattern. Check the easy stuff (battery, jump leads, etc. If that isnt working, check the engine will actually turn. Removing the auxiliary belt helps to locate the problem.

Back