Technical Start/stop unavailable yellow warning triangle

Currently reading:
Technical Start/stop unavailable yellow warning triangle

WitleyPanda

4x4 been off the road for a month. Put back on and now after several miles get the message and triangle warning. Seem to get slight further each time, but not sure. Checked the battery and charging, 12.6/14.4 and was parked up with a solar panel on the limit/stop self discharge. Now it is dry today can hook up laptop/OBDII yellow lead and look for codes? Check clutch sensor for obvious issue? Any other actions?

Assume the voltage sensor remained attached to the battery while off the road (the black plastic unit on negative terminal). And, a battery charger (and so I assume solar panel too) needs to connect to that unit, not direct to battery negative... this ensures the battery condition remains monitored correctly.
See owner’s handbook - photo attached

Attachments

• batteryCharger.jpeg
    batteryCharger.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Correct if you charging with significant current then need to use remote negative point rather than battery post. ( Else potential damage to semiconductors including alternator pack etc.) However solar panel only giving few milliamps to provide for the standby electronics and plugged via OBDII socket.

Correct if you charging with significant current then need to use remote negative point rather than battery post. ( Else potential damage to semiconductors including alternator pack etc.) However solar panel only giving few milliamps to provide for the standby electronics and plugged via OBDII socket.

Read the handbook photo again (which is now the right way up, which should help)... the charger does go on the battery(with negative lead disconnected)

If connected to ODB, does that reach the battery if the key is out? Just about all power from battery to the car is cut, either at point of turning key off (eg headlights) or 15 minutes later (eg interior light if left switched on), which suggests route back to the battery may not be available.

Last edited:
Fully agree with you, that IF charging then safe way is to disconnect battery, as per the manual. However if you were to jump start the vehicle for example you would need to activate a different protocol. The manufacturer has recommended the safest way, if that an option follow it to the letter, agreed.
If disconnect the battery then also lose some security, hence the locked in car approach.

There are several circuit live with the ignition off. Some may be on secondary controls, such as time-outs. The OBDII appears to provide a ultra low safe way to float the charge, note NOT bulk charge, as is the case on other vehicles that I have used this approach.

62 plate 4x4, 64K miles, (so due 3rd full service any dry day soon). I would expect an OEM battery to last significantly more than 3-4 years, trick being not to let them go down, hence the solar panel. Weekly average mileage typically ~150 miles as a single return trip, not 30/day.

P.S.
Connected the OBDII with Multiscan and not seen clutch sensor or stop/start.
But assume if I find it and set in MES "Start/Stop = NOT PRESENT" and make new proxi alignement ;-) That should completely disable S&S system and it's messages?

62 plate 4x4, 64K miles, (so due 3rd full service any dry day soon). I would expect an OEM battery to last significantly more than 3-4 years... Weekly average mileage typically ~150 miles as a single return trip, not 30/day.
If on the original battery, that makes it 7 or more years old (late 2012/early 2013 reg) - which is good going for stop/start battery. But that regular drive should have kept it happy.

Last edited:
If on the original battery, that makes it 7 or more years old (late 2012/early 2013 reg) - which is good going for stop/start battery. But that regular drive should have kept it happy.

My 2012 ta is still on factory battery..
Stop start got patchy after a few years.. but no concerns over cold starts etc.

The routes and times, mean that stop only been used a couple of times, mostly turned, but just wish I could loose the yellow triangle.

Given no other feedback on the issue, will have another play with Multiscan and "not Present" the start/stop.

Back