Technical Squeaking steering wheel - 2011 TA

Currently reading:
Technical Squeaking steering wheel - 2011 TA

S4Evo

Hi All,
i am getting a squeaking noise when i turn the wheel, stationary or on the move - appears to be coming from inside the column. i think these are electric steering pumps. anyone had this issue? sounds like an expensive fix to me if it needs a new pump. anyone experienced this and idea of cost?
Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
thanks for reply,is that a complete guess or from experience with the 500 ? doesnt sound like something rubbing -was hoping someone may have experienced same issue.

Hi All,
i am getting a squeaking noise when i turn the wheel, stationary or on the move - appears to be coming from inside the column. i think these are electric steering pumps. anyone had this issue? sounds like an expensive fix to me if it needs a new pump. anyone experienced this and idea of cost?
Thanks, Chris
There is no pump it's an electric motor on the collum

Where abouts is the noise exactly?

Is it at the top near the wheel or more under the dash?

Hi, the squeaking noise comes from below the steering column, sort of below the airbag cover area. guessing that where the electric motor is situated.

Hi, the squeaking noise comes from below the steering column, sort of below the airbag cover area. guessing that where the electric motor is situated.
The motor is right at the bottom of the collum behind the dash sort of area

It sounds like like it's coming from the clock spring area by your description

I must say I can't say I've heard of any issues with the motor making noises likes this before

The motor is right at the bottom of the collum behind the dash sort of area

It sounds like like it's coming from the clock spring area by your description

I must say I can't say I've heard of any issues with the motor making noises likes this before
That.

My money is still on a piece of one of the shrouds catching on something when the wheel is turned. This has been reported here quite a few times.

Thanks for that, the steering works fine it’s just the noise. Hoping that is the case then Anyone got an idea how I could investigate if a shroud is catching or know of a link where this was last reported on the forum? I’ve tried searching but can’t find. Thanks in advance

That.

My money is still on a piece of one of the shrouds catching on something when the wheel is turned. This has been reported here quite a few times.
I find Halfords or WD40 Silicon spray is magic at stopping plastic squeaks SPray affected area and wipe away overspray with a dry cloth. Ots good on electrical things too. Squeaking clock springs is something I have encountered before too.

Back