General sporting vs fabia vrs

Currently reading:
General sporting vs fabia vrs

i am looking for a faster car and im torn between the sporting 1.9mjet and the fabia vrs im looking at 06 at about 60k miles.

I no there are a few ppl on here that have had both cars and was wondering which you would recommend. i realise this is a fiat forum thats why i would perfer answers from owners of both.

I had a fabby VRS a couple of years ago. As a car, it was fine, brisk, and it could be re-mapped easily. But, the local Skoda dealer was hopeless, the car had bubbling paint under the side-strips ( common) and perforation. No amount of letters and phone calls would get them to acknowledge it. Also, the car felt smaller than the Grande Punto I have now, and which, apart from the extra speed of the Fabia, I think I prefer.

I have owned a few VAG products the last a (old) Leon Cupra.

I currently drive an 06 Mjet, mapped, lowered, Brembos etc and once on the boil it is very quick car. I would say it feels as quick as the Leon if not as responsive (petrol v diesel).

I have enjoyed it and upgrading it over the last two years.

Its now doen 32,000 miles, mapped at 6,000 miles and been completely reliable.

Its also going up for sale this weekend!

on paper the fabia and the mjet are around about the same but i would say the VRS is a lot more punchy and fun to drive, once you have gone from a VRS to an Mjet you do feel like you are missing something...and modification wise the PD engines are a whole lot easier to modify and more parts readily available.

my gf rolled my VRS iand i really miss it :(

Hi Iain..

You leaving the fiat faternity or going abarth (y)

Get your GPS up in the classifieds :)

No just consolidating into a 500 1.4 Sport!! Mrs G will not go Abarth - too fast for her!! It will be in Sunday/Monday - sorry off topic.

Redline mag a few issues ago did a great series of articles on diesel tuning. The Fabia certainly has more tuning/power potential and more tuners.

DSC00454.JPG

DSC00455.JPG

dont say they are ugly hahahah i loved mine, plenty you can do to get rid of the sober styling.... the Mjet doesnt advertise enough that it is a 'sporting' I do think the Mjet looks slightly better but the VRS is an overall more solid car with more opportunities :D

You also need thick skin because at the end of the day it will always be a Skoda - no matter how good they are these days i still remember what they were like and the image they portray (too tight to buy a VW & if they made a convertible they would call it a skip).:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
My brother has a re-mapped Fabia VRS which I have driven quite a few times. I have an elegenza 1.9 M-Jet 120.

The Fabia is obviously quicker, but the way it puts its power down is vicous. Their is no finesse, it scrabbles around badly for grip, torque steers and wheel spins. The M-Jet feels slower because it is more progressive in the way it put its power down, its not all of a sudden.

My bros Fabia puts out a lot of black smoke on hard accleration.

The interior is a dull and dreary place to be, and it all feels quite old in their in comparison to the GP.

I find the Fabia slightly tiresome to drive compared to mine, it feels old school compared to the GP. The gear box is notchy and the handling is not as good. The fuel economy on the VRS is better though.

Personally I would say a GP, plus I think you can pick up a lower mileage GP for the price of a higher mileage VRS.

View attachment 83253

View attachment 83254

dont say they are ugly hahahah i loved mine, plenty you can do to get rid of the sober styling.... the Mjet doesnt advertise enough that it is a 'sporting' I do think the Mjet looks slightly better but the VRS is an overall more solid car with more opportunities :D

Yuck!!!!!!!!!

The Fabia VRS is gross, never seen one even dressed up that looks any good. Proper grandad's warm hatch....IMHO

No thank you!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I've owned both and the GPS was the far better car, People mock fiat dealers but the services I received from this particular skoda dealer (now closed down!) was shocking.

As said above the furby vrs has no finesse in its power delivery or its handling, kinda like trying to corner in a long sailing boat of some kind with a oil tanker engine in the front. Understeers like buggery, the GP's handling although the steering is so light it's girly felt much better in the bendy stuff.

there is me shot down then haha, i threw alot of money into my VRS ... Mjet always has ASR on fabia you have to switch it on. skoda have constant awards for most reliable car, best dealership and overall customer satisfaction. VW Audi arnt even up there in the top 5 with them... end of the day the choice is yours. Go out and test drive them both... both are as equally good cars and the pros and the cons equal eachother out...

Good luck choosing (y)

Yuck!!!!!!!!!

The Fabia VRS is gross, never seen one even dressed up that looks any good. Proper grandad's warm hatch....IMHO

No thank you!!!!!!!!

I am a grandad i would never want one. It is so ugly in my opinion.
I looked at these before i bought my GPS and although the spec is decent and they were cheap i could not get past those looks and badge.

Back