Technical speedo calibration

Currently reading:
Technical speedo calibration

My 02 Multipla speedo is reading well under compared to my GPS. I don't mind over but under is not great. Is calibration something can be undertaken by an amateur or do I need an auto electrician?

Right... Since I posted my original query, I have done some observation and discover that the speedo needle is actually in the wrong position. It's well below zero at rest - at 112 kph (gps) it reads 100 which suggests12% out BUT at 12kph it reads zero and so on, always 12 kph. So there's always the same 'distance' of error rather than a percentage difference!
Is it possible to get at the dial and move the needle?

My experience of Fiat speedos is they are outrageously inaccurate. A good one is inaccurate and a bad one as in my newest Panda is a joke. If you have a consistent steady error you'r in luck and may be able to adjust the needle. My worst experience was a Renault many years back which said about 75mphat full speed. it was in fact going north of 100! That was a faulty speedometer caused by the sensor at the end of the cable failing. Check that you dont have a similar issue. Try plotting the readings against true speed at all speeds from 5mph up to fast speeds and see if it is accurate at any point.

My experience of Fiat speedos is they are outrageously inaccurate. A good one is inaccurate and a bad one as in my newest Panda is a joke. If you have a consistent steady error you'r in luck and may be able to adjust the needle. My worst experience was a Renault many years back which said about 75mphat full speed. it was in fact going north of 100! That was a faulty speedometer caused by the sensor at the end of the cable failing. Check that you dont have a similar issue. Try plotting the readings against true speed at all speeds from 5mph up to fast speeds and see if it is accurate at any point.
Really must of had some bad cars I've compared by to the GPS on my phone and satnav it's around 3-4mph out at 70 give or take a little

The previous 500 I was around 4-5

Yes, indeed, any idea how to adjust the needle?

Really must of had some bad cars I've compared by to the GPS on my phone and satnav it's around 3-4mph out at 70 give or take a little

The previous 500 I was around 4-5
mine is 63mph = indicated 70. 67 is indicated 80. Its really irritating on a long run where Iwant to keep the speed up. Doing say 62 -63 or around 74 -75 real speed has the nerves
Yes, indeed, any idea how to adjust the needle?
I would imagine its remove the panel, then remove the 'glass' then carefully mark the position its in and the needle hsaft , remove the pointer and replace in a better position. It would be easier to obtain another instrument cluster. The alternative would be to get some black paper or plastic and mark the speeds on that and stick it over the existing markings. On the Panda it couldnt make the speedo look worse than standard!

Back