Speeding!

Currently reading:
Speeding!

Fidgit

In the last 2 days I've been doled out 2 speeding tickets. First one from a week or so ago when I was doing 67mph in a 50 zone in roadworks at 2'o'clock in the morning on the M1. Average speed check cameras. Second I got done on Saturday morning on my way to work doing 41mph in a 30 zone. They'd parked the van up and there were white lines across the road, like the ones you get with the fixed cameras that face you. I thought that would be the point they measure my speed but it seems they got me a good 500 yards before that. Am gutted now. That means 9 points! Not to mention the £120 fine.
Does anyone know what he likelihood of me being offered the 'speed awareness day' instead of the 2nd set of points is? Have heard of people agreeing to go on these when they've been offered, in place of points.

Whether you get offered a speed awareness course depends on which police force is prosecuting and whether they think it will be of any benefit to you. I've been told those courses are usually offered to drivers in danger of a second or third ban, repeat and persistant offenders who points and fines don't get the message to.
Speed cameras aren't turned off at night because sometimes the work is still going on at 2am. There are usually warnings about average speed cameras in use, didn't you see them? The safety camera vans use laser speed detection devices, the lines across the road were probably left over from a gatso that had been removed. When the speed limit sign has a red border around it that's a legally enforcable speed limit. If you don't slow down and observe speed limits you will lose your license, would that also mean your job?

Last edited:
I think i must of missed the first average speed checka camera as they got me between junction 9 and 10 which is just where the roadworks start.
Looks like I'm going to have to swallow the points and be extra extra careful for now.
Losing my driving licence would mean that i wouldn't be able tp get to work and as I work as a carer for people with learning disabilities I need to be able to drive to enable the tenants to get out and a bout. I'm no good to anyone with no driving licence. Couldn't take them on the bus either as they live in the back end of nowhere not right in town so you need to drive to go anywhere. Not sure that would make much differnce if I get caught again though. Going to drive like a sunday morning granny forever now!

if its your first and only offence then you have a chance, in your case you've got no chance.

I got flashed the other night doing approx 34-36MPH in a 30, as an 18Y/O I can only get upto 6 points before losing my lisence. Although I haven't got any points so far, do you think I'm likely to get offered the 'awareness day' or just give 3 points?

(Bloody camera on Norwich ring road, far to sensitive! The thing probably paid for it's self in the first 48 hours after being installed! I have now found out 6 other people I know hve been cought by the same one!)

a new driver on a first offence is exactly the type of person they want on the speed awareness course. you need to find out if your local police authority offer the speed awareness course, not all of them do.

I thought them stupid days were only for drink driving to cut your ban down? Just don't use your mobile and keep within 10% over the speed limit ;)

a new driver on a first offence is exactly the type of person they want on the speed awareness course. you need to find out if your local police authority offer the speed awareness course, not all of them do.

Thanks Jug, I might well look into trying to do that. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for the ticket to hit your door matt (although there are postage strinks on at the mo).

I'm just wound up that I got flashed. I like to see my self as a sensible driver and I wouldn't have said I was doing anything to wrong. Yes fiar enough I was over the 30MPH limit, but Football had just finished and the roads were busy so I was concentraiting on the road ahead rather than clock watching! Is it only me who will do only 20mph past a school in a 30mph zone?

Thanks Jug, I might well look into trying to do that. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for the ticket to hit your door matt (although there are postage strinks on at the mo).

I'm just wound up that I got flashed. I like to see my self as a sensible driver and I wouldn't have said I was doing anything to wrong. Yes fiar enough I was over the 30MPH limit, but Football had just finished and the roads were busy so I was concentraiting on the road ahead rather than clock watching! Is it only me who will do only 20mph past a school in a 30mph zone?

http://www.suffolkroadsafe.net/speed_awareness.htm

When I was 17 I had a serious accident, The police put it down to undue care and attention which to be fair was correct as i wasn't the most cautious of drivers back then (only two years ago :eek: ). I was offered a driving awareness course rather than a ban and I took it. It actually did help my driving and I've been a careful driver ever since. They would never offer it to me again though. I learned my lesson, I won't make the same mistake again.

There are conditions that come with these courses ie. if I was to commit the same offence again within two years of taking the course I receive an instant six points no arguments.

Like already mentioned, if this is your first offence and you are not massively over the speed limit there is a chance they will offer it to you. Just see what happens.

Back