Speeding!

Currently reading:
Speeding!

I read that as well in 'the driver's survival handbook', by Martin Thwaite, but was wondering if this still applies if its delayed because of the current postal strikes

Actually the police just need to take reasonable steps to send you the ticket within 14 days, not for it to arrive within 14 days. So if the ticket is dated three weeks from the offence, then you can protest. If they send it on day 10 for example, but is delayed for 10 days due to post etc, then you can't.

Actually the police just need to take reasonable steps to send you the ticket within 14 days, not for it to arrive within 14 days. So if the ticket is dated three weeks from the offence, then you can protest. If they send it on day 10 for example, but is delayed for 10 days due to post etc, then you can't.

Buggar. Though this would probably be the case. But who sends it to me? Are cameras a Police or Councle thing?

Unless the law has change in the last year, that isn't true.

In the last 2 days I've been doled out 2 speeding tickets. First one from a week or so ago when I was doing 67mph in a 50 zone in roadworks at 2'o'clock in the morning on the M1. Average speed check cameras. Second I got done on Saturday morning on my way to work doing 41mph in a 30 zone. They'd parked the van up and there were white lines across the road, like the ones you get with the fixed cameras that face you. I thought that would be the point they measure my speed but it seems they got me a good 500 yards before that. Am gutted now. That means 9 points! Not to mention the £120 fine.
Does anyone know what he likelihood of me being offered the 'speed awareness day' instead of the 2nd set of points is? Have heard of people agreeing to go on these when they've been offered, in place of points.

Just take it like an Adult, if u speed dont get caught, if u get caught dont complain. We should all know by now "they" are out to get us by whatever hidden means and by hook or by crook we will all get done some day. In fact, Speeding endorsements are less frowned on these days for that very reason.

Good luck.

ut fidget was by his own admission. On both occasions.

Unless the law has change in the last year, that isn't true.

The law says the police need to send the notice so that it should arrive within 14 days, it doesn't say you have to receive it in 14 days. As they don't use registered post for this, there is no proof either way and that is why you can't use it as the only form of defence. If they don't process it within 14 days then it can be cancelled.

It's the same as a county court summons, this is considered served by just sending out a letter, not even by recorded delivery. If you don't turn up because you didn't receive the notice, then you have to fill in loads of forms and show you didn't to get the judgment over turned. Once you have done this, you still have to respond to the original summons, it's not cancelled.

Exactly! Its simple...if you speed then expect a fine,keep within speed limit & your ok...not exactly rocket science is it?

That's the best advice, if you did it take the ticket, if you didn't then fight it.

I seem to get a fixed penalty every 3 years,so alternate between 3 and 6 points. Each one has been for a minor breach (last time i was caught was doing 47 after the exit to thelwall viaduct roadworks on the M6, I was half a mile clear of the roadworks, where the M6 is 4 lanes just before j20 southbound, 100 yards from the natinonal speed limit sign, and was starting to accelerate into the 70mph zone) I was annoyed to receive it, as I was well out of the roadworks, at 8.30 pm on a sunny may evening, and so posing no risk whatsoever,

It would have been extremely unlikely that a traffic cop would have 'nicked' me there, especially at that time of night, as it was deserted. Speed cameras are arbitrary, at rush hour, it would have been nose to tail there, and 40 is appropriate.

I was very annoyed to receive it, but on reflection, I was breaking the limit, and in reality consider myself lucky for the numerous times which we all go further over the speed limit than 7mph, when things could have been more than 3 points, £60 fine, and £40 loading on my insurance...........

If you only have 3 points left on your licence, be careful out there....... just done a google search for stickers (I remember reading about them yonks ago), at least if you had one of those on your car, you wouldnt get people tailgating you if you are sticking strictly to the limit

http://www.ninepointsthatswhy.com/

http://www.stokesayware.com/9pointspleasepass.htm

Last edited:
I wouldn't advertise the fact that I had 9 points round here. I think some police would take great joy in taking another modified car enthusiast off the road.

Some dick heads would probably just try to make you speed or something.

A lot of drivers do not have 9 points and just feel they have the right to hog 2 lanes at a time or not move over on a dual lane cariageway to let you passed.

Another thing I hate are people who stay left for a left turn but swing out like they are a rally driver just before the turn to take the turn.

They do it on right turns aswell, fookin morons. They always do it without looking causing people to have to take evasive action and end up on the wrong side of the road or emergency braking which is just as likely to cause an accident.

EDIT: I thought this was the Driving Ape Thread.

I have driven like a complete idiot during my life, and had 9 points a few years ago, but since getting 9 points and possibly loosing my job if I got three more I started to slow down. I use Tomtom to alert me of all cameras, which is a great help, but if you study where the cameras are (particularly mobiles) its actually in dangerous positions 90% of the time. As I have got older (I am still under 40) I have become more aware of the dangers, that doesn't mean I dont drive fast sometimes but I am much more aware of whats going on around me and potential dangers. I also concentrate much more on keeping the car balanced and drive much more smoothly because of it. The thing that brings it back home the most though is seeing accidents and realising people die in them. A young man I know was killed two weeks ago (exactly where a mobile camera sometimes is situated), I was at the scene within ten minutes of the accident, but didnt realise he was involved as it wasnt his car. Four days later his name was released and I had the shock of my life. He was the passenger and both he and the driver were killed. Speed was definately a cause, I wish they had got 3 points rather than being killed.

They were both 19

They were both 19

I think it should also be maid that for the first 2/3 years of driving after passing a test youngsters can't have a car bigger than a 1100cc etc.

I'm in my 2nd year of driving and now have a 1100cc Panda, in the 1st year I had a 769cc Panda, and I think it was good for me not to have a to powerful car in my 1st year of motoring. 1100cc is ample enough!

I think it should also be maid that for the first 2/3 years of driving after passing a test youngsters can't have a car bigger than a 1100cc etc.

I don't necessarily agree with this, I am 21 and have been driving 4 years now. But i have only just got my own car with myself as the main insured driver because i have only just been able to afford it. and that is because the car was given to me!

However, for the last 2 and a bit years i have been driving the stilo and whilst driving the car is great fun - i have never been in a position where i've felt the car is too powerful for me.

Some youngsters do tend to think that passing your test is all about cruising and being faster than the other guy, but if they crash their car and get banned then thats their problem!! Why penalise one driver for the rest.

To get the high number of deaths and accidents amongst young newly qualified drivers down.

I see your point with that have lost close friends due to dangerous driving, but the dangerous drivers on the motorway which i have experienced - things like no brake lights which working, etc tend to be at least 30 or older. And then have the cheek to try and put the blame onto you!

Some problems you can't solve.

I see your point with that have lost close friends due to dangerous driving, but the dangerous drivers on the motorway which i have experienced - things like no brake lights which working, etc tend to be at least 30 or older. And then have the cheek to try and put the blame onto you!

Some problems you can't solve.

Well we all experience different drivers doing silly things but one persons experience is going to be different to an others. However, as discussed a zillion times in the insurance threads, it's the young newly qualified drivers that have the highest numbers of accidents - that is fact. If we don't restrict engine sizes for new drivers what can we do to stop them from driving vehicles that are too fast for inexperienced newbies?

A power/ capacity system already exists for motorcycles so why can't it work for new car drivers?

just voicing an opinion.

how many drivers would then look to drive something more powerful, without insurance etc etc? can go on forever with ways to improve the world lol

just voicing an opinion.

how many drivers would then look to drive something more powerful, without insurance etc etc? can go on forever with ways to improve the world lol

I wasn't having a go at you, don't get me wrong, and I know how unfair it seems when you get penalised for other people's behaviour. I was showing the bigger picture as to why young people get hammered so much when it comes to insurance and restrictions. If the accidents and death rates weren't so high no one would need to bring in these restrictions for newly qualified and young drivers.

As to young drivers driving something more powerful without insurance, unfortunately they already do. Whether it's by using mummy and daddy to illegally 'front' the insurance on a high insurance group car or just simply driving around without any insurance at all that already happens. Something shocking like 1 in 20 drivers (I think that was the statistic) have no insurance was mentioned on the forum fairly recently. That figure needs to be confirmed with a reliable source for confirmation.

It's just a shame that the young drivers who do drive sensibly get hit by the high costs loaded on them all because of the other idiots in that age group who spoil it for everyone else. Then again, that's what earning a no-claims bonus is all about ;)

unfortunatly you cant beat the stats.as it is the younger drivers are a greater risks.
we have had many threads on this,just look at beau being pulled by the police &having a crash a few days after passing his test.
these are the types hiking insurance policies for everyone.
same as your job & address having an effect.that doesnt take into consideration you as an individual

Back