speeding at 101

Currently reading:
speeding at 101

No! The road from Hart Village to Hartlepool is a 60! Wish people would stop doing 30/40 along there.
i mean after hart villiage you go to the roundabout where you turn right to go to h'pool, then there is a 30mph straight to the next roundabout with the petrol station, thats where they got him, they were on the other side of the road but still checking both sides. 31mph with a handheld gun and it was 3points, shocking.

i know the road you mean from the petrol station r'bout (road after the one i mean), but i havent seen then there for years now.

This issue was on the news a couple of years ago.
There was some MP, can't remember his name, saying that drivers shouldn't be allowed to do even 1mph over the limit and why were speed cameras set higher than the speed limit.
The police chief for his area was explaining that they have to allow for speedo inaccuracies.
The Sun got hold of this story and they waited for this MP to leave his office in his car and clocked him with a speed gun doing 32mph in a 30mph limit and put it in the paper.
The MP was really embarressed but insisted that his speedo said 30, which proved the point that the police were trying to make in the first place.

the solution to that is to switch your satnav to speed warning mode, so it beeps constantly when you're speeding. very annoying but it almost guarantees you'll never get caught speeding and it means you never need to look at your speedo ever again.

TBH I have no sympathy for you, I'm going to say it anyway, 101 on a public road is irresponsible and very dangerous not just for you but everyone around you.

Not sure I agree on that one. I dont know what the OP drives but to be honest on a motorway, going 20mph faster than everyone else around you isn't exactly that bad is it? And I'm sure there will be people on here that disagree but what car you are driving does make a massive difference, the stopping distances and speed limits were set in the 70's using a Ford Anglia, quite a different vehicle to a Fiat Coupe or maybe something German like a 535 or a A6.

The German Autobahn is no more dangerous than any motorway in Britain and as we all know, sections of that have no real speed limits, only advisories.

If, however, you were doing it on a country road, or even through a town then you would deserve punishment, but 101 on a motorway, go for it.

i mean after hart villiage you go to the roundabout where you turn right to go to h'pool, then there is a 30mph straight to the next roundabout with the petrol station, thats where they got him, they were on the other side of the road but still checking both sides. 31mph with a handheld gun and it was 3points, shocking.

i know the road you mean from the petrol station r'bout (road after the one i mean), but i havent seen then there for years now.

Think we're on about the same road.

You come down the hill to the Hart roundabout, straight over and its 60 single carriageway, then a little roundabout and its 50 dual carriageway, then right at the big roundabout onto 40 dual carriageway which for a while dropped to 30. At the end of the 30 is the petrol station.

Of course you will love to know that they have put the speed limit back to 40 due to safety reasons :rolleyes:

You come down the hill to the Hart roundabout, straight over and its 60 single carriageway, then a little roundabout and its 50 dual carriageway, then right at the big roundabout onto 40 dual carriageway which for a while dropped to 30. At the end of the 30 is the petrol station.
exactly (y)

more than 30 over any limit (AFAIK) = instant ban, for how long, I'm not sure, you have to argue it in court. its only that magistrates court, but its still a court, with very real concequences.

basically their ain't much you can do but look sorry for yourself.

videographic evidence would suggest a safty camera van or a police car (marked/unmarked) following you. but AFAIK they had to pull you over afterwards to make it stick. I'm always looking in the rear view for likly unmarked cars. in the UK they are usually pretty obvious.
but just been away to canada, and they are painful obvious. the thing says FORD POLICE INTERCEPTOR on the name badge LOL. and the police and 70yr olds are the only ones that own/drive them, so again pretty obvious ifyou are being watched LOL>

would bet that everyone who posted on here at some point has gone over the legal limit - including myself BUT i am talking 4 to 5 mph if that, not 30/40/50mph above the limit.

i text my friend who's uncle is a traffic cop and he pretty much said if they have the evidence you can cry anything but he almost certain you'll be looking at a ban (how long and fine or points depends on judge).

the letter says, NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION, sounds like court to me.
so would you say that my best bet would be to say that my speedo read 85mph, and also my stilo has a speed beep set at 90mph, which wasn't triggered.
its either that or go down the route of saying that there cameras arent accurate, i know alot of people do try that, but its more risky i think.

Remember if you make a claim like 'my speedo read 85' or 'the speed warning didn't work' you had better be able to prove it. If the court thinks you're making things up deliberately to get a lighter sentence or for any other reason they will come down on you VERY hard. Don't forget lieing in court can get you charged with perjury or attempting to pervert the course of justice, either of which could put you in prison.

Last edited:
I'm not using any data.
There's a speed camera oppisite where I used to work. We were chatting to the blokes who were repairing it one day and we asked what they were doing. They said they were changing the speed setting from 67mph to 63mph. But it was a 50mph zone so we asked why it was so high, they told us what I saying before in the thread.
Any less than 20% and it won't stand up in court.

Think they were just spinning you a yarn mate.

Different courts hand out different punishments so no point in forecasting it.

To avoid a ban I'm sure a family to provide for is usually the key to keeping it, staying at home with folks then you've had it.

66mph is the reading on my sat nav when the speedo says 70mph, so if you were caught doing 101mph, I'd expect the speedo to be around 107ish so I don't get the arguement where the OP says he doesn't do that normally.

What's done is done, can't change it now, take the hit and chalk it up to experience.

For the record, I have exceeded the limit many times, been at 150+ etc but just haven't been caught YET! so I am just being realisitic.

Liam

hang on a minute, since you were on holiday you could say it wasnt you. tell them you live nowhere near there and you have never been there before so it must be a false plate on another car. if your vehicle has no distinguishable markings (that you cant remove) then the video cant prove it was you or your car, simply a vehicle of the same make and colour with the same plate. he who dares rodders.

hang on a minute, since you were on holiday you could say it wasnt you. tell them you live nowhere near there and you have never been there before so it must be a false plate on another car. if your vehicle has no distinguishable markings (that you cant remove) then the video cant prove it was you or your car, simply a vehicle of the same make and colour with the same plate. he who dares rodders.

Think he's in enough trouble without adding perverting the course of justice, many have tried and failed and ended up with a much more strict punishment!

Liam

I feel for you Mr Coyle :( 101 isn't that much on modern, quiet motorways in a big car that blocks out all the noise and feel of the road. Plus why do they put cameras on motorways anyway? I can understand accident blackspots and residential areas, but a clear strecth of motorway? Got to be for pure moneymaking badness :mad:

Don't try the speedo defence, most of them actually overread so it's immensely unlikely that yours will have been reading less than 101mph at the time.

Best bet is to try and persuade them that it'll cause you "exceptional hardship" - unable to get to work/take others to work/take kids to school/go food shopping etc etc.

Also question the calibration of whatever device it was that caught you. One of these speed cameras famously clocked an old Maestro doing Mach 1; also, there was a guy who took his car (think it was a Punto, actually) to an airfield to prove to a copper that it couldn't do anything close to the speed it was allegedly clocked at. Unless they can prove that it was calibrated at the time then its reading is null and void.

Personally, I think it's highly unfair that 100mph on a clear motorway results in harsher treatment than 40mph through a housing estate. And more severe penalties than burglary, mugging, assault, vandalism, etc. Going quickly doesn't mean dangerous, and going slowly doesn't mean safe. The law is a f***ing disgrace in this respect and you have my full sympathy.

I feel for you Mr Coyle :( 101 isn't that much on modern, quiet motorways in a big car that blocks out all the noise and feel of the road. Plus why do they put cameras on motorways anyway? I can understand accident blackspots and residential areas, but a clear strecth of motorway? Got to be for pure moneymaking badness :mad:

theres a cracking one out past edinburgh airport. hidden just past a M/way bridge it catches so many drivers and causes near misses with drivers hitting the anchors

Back