speeding at 101

Currently reading:
speeding at 101

You're allowed 20% inaccuracy on your speedo so you could say "I admit I was speeding but my speedo definitely said 85mph, not 101 (this would be roughly +20%...I think). If you stick to your story they should have to take your word for it as they should allow for this inaccuracy on your speedo. You'd still get fined but it would be a lesser punishment.
I've heard of people saying this and getting away with it as speed cameras are often inaccurate anyway.

TBH, 100 mph nowdays isnt THAT fast. the ammount of people doing 90 - 110 on motorways etc, its just the norm. the A38 to derby is a typical road where veryone sits at those speeds, even a few police dog vans etc which shouldnt be!

100 comes so fast from 70mph, u can easily accidently do 100 just getting past a few cars, especially in my parents fabia vrs withc has mental pull at those speeds!

Dunc

TBH, 100 mph nowdays isnt THAT fast. the ammount of people doing 90 - 110 on motorways etc, its just the norm. the A38 to derby is a typical road where veryone sits at those speeds, even a few police dog vans etc which shouldnt be!

100 comes so fast from 70mph, u can easily accidently do 100 just getting past a few cars, especially in my parents fabia vrs withc has mental pull at those speeds!

Dunc

:yeahthat: loads of drivers do 100 on the motorway, it's not unusual, especially if it's quiet.

You're allowed 20% inaccuracy on your speedo so you could say "I admit I was speeding but my speedo definitely said 85mph, not 101 (this would be roughly +20%...I think). If you stick to your story they should have to take your word for it as they should allow for this inaccuracy on your speedo. You'd still get fined but it would be a lesser punishment.
I've heard of people saying this and getting away with it as speed cameras are often inaccurate anyway.

:yeahthat:when i was done for speeding i got a reduced ban for admitting fault at the first opportunity i got 30 days and £240 no points fine plus costs (they also take into account if you got a clean licence or not.
) personally i dont think you will get a court appearance as if it were to be a court appearance they would have sent you a summons (but i could be wrong im just going by my own experience.)

i hit over 100mph every day to and from work, and i dont even overtake everyone at that speed, plenty of people are doing it, and even then you get bmws and mercs who want to go faster every 5 minutes. that doesnt mean its safe, but it does mean it would be unreasonable to ban us all, and in my opinion it is not dangerous in the correct conditions.

Last edited:
Actually it's 19%. A speed camera in a 30mph zone is set at a minimum of 36mph, which is +20%. So you can do up to 35mph and it won't flash.
In a 40 limit it would be set at 48 so you can do 47 safely.
I've tested them myself.

wheres the data your using?
each force sets there cameras AFAIK so you cant make a generalisation over the UK
the safety zone in a speed camera is just where they set the trigger. by your reckoning they would use the same to 'cut' your speed ,even when your blatently over the limit?

the letter says, NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION, sounds like court to me.
so would you say that my best bet would be to say that my speedo read 85mph, and also my stilo has a speed beep set at 90mph, which wasn't triggered.
its either that or go down the route of saying that there cameras arent accurate, i know alot of people do try that, but its more risky i think.

so would you say that my best bet would be to say that my speedo read 85mph, and also my stilo has a speed beep set at 90mph, which wasn't triggered.
its either that or go down the route of saying that there cameras arent accurate, i know alot of people do try that, but its more risky i think.

NIP - you get that for anything where it wasn't issued by the police at the time of the offence.

People driving at 100+ may be the norm but that doesn't make it acceptable and it's still against the law. The consequences of breaking the law in this way are well publicised and documented :rolleyes: If you really don't think you were going that fast, get legal advice and prove it in court

wheres the data your using?
each force sets there cameras AFAIK so you cant make a generalisation over the UK
the safety zone in a speed camera is just where they set the trigger. by your reckoning they would use the same to 'cut' your speed ,even when your blatently over the limit?

I'm not using any data.
There's a speed camera oppisite where I used to work. We were chatting to the blokes who were repairing it one day and we asked what they were doing. They said they were changing the speed setting from 67mph to 63mph. But it was a 50mph zone so we asked why it was so high, they told us what I saying before in the thread.
Any less than 20% and it won't stand up in court.

Intended prosecution doesn't necessarily (sp) mean court if you get an sp30 or sp50 you are still being prosecuted.

Mr Nationwide here is correct. Cleveland police have prosecuted plenty (I mean literally thousands) for under 33mph in a 30 zone.

yeah, on that road coming into hartlepool from hart villiage, 31mph is 3points on there, as my GF's dad found out more than once lol. there was outrage from people, it was even on the front page of the hartlepool mail.

I'm not using any data.
There's a speed camera oppisite where I used to work. We were chatting to the blokes who were repairing it one day and we asked what they were doing. They said they were changing the speed setting from 67mph to 63mph. But it was a 50mph zone so we asked why it was so high, they told us what I saying before in the thread.
Any less than 20% and it won't stand up in court.

You are missing the point, because cameras are not set at the absolute limit, it does not in any way mean that 101 mph could possibly be 85!

yeah, on that road coming into hartlepool from hart villiage, 31mph is 3points on there, as my GF's dad found out more than once lol. there was outrage from people, it was even on the front page of the hartlepool mail.

No! The road from Hart Village to Hartlepool is a 60! Wish people would stop doing 30/40 along there.

The road in question was from the Shell petrol station towards the Cemetary roundabout (a roundabout away ;)). The 40mph sign was moved about 100 yards further up the road so they got their speed camera out and clocked people accelerating upto the 40 sign. Of course they got a lot of people doing 40+ in the now 30 zone but even prosecuted those at 31 and 32mph. :tosser:

Back