General Spark Plug Leads Recommendations?

Currently reading:
General Spark Plug Leads Recommendations?

Hi all :D ,
Up until a few days ago I had a set of Magnecor Electrosports 80 ignition leads on order (the blue 8mm ones). There was some cock up with the order and it got cancelled but now I'm wondering if they were going to be worth the money anyway.
The thing is, I need to get a new set anyway as I've recently fitted some Denso Iridium plugs and although they have made a huge difference, I'm sure I can't be getting the best from them with the weedy original fitment leads that have been on the car since it was new in 2001.

So, what does everyone on here use and how do you rate what you've got for performance and value?
Cheers in advance for any input (y)

There's a little trick called spark plug keying to get the best possible combustion. You use different thickness washers on the plugs to allign the gap in the electrode with the inlet valve.

kinda been wondering this myself for a while...

Uprated my plugs to bosch super 4's, and been concidering new leads (blue magnecors)...

...any thoughts on whether it would help that flat spot issue (in comparison to the bog standard fiat leads)?:confused:

The flatspot issue shouldn't effect the MPI engine

lol, well it does - between approx 3200 and 3500 rpm... usually most noticeable at 60 in 5th, but admittedly less so since the new exhaust went on.

Suprised at the mpi flatspot you shouldnt have one.

Check vacuum pipes are intact etc

I have used KV85's as well as arc and throughly recommend. If anything they improve the idling, a lot more clamer and not like it is going to cut out any second.

a very cheap & worthwhile tip to do is multi earthing your car(y)
this has been around for a long time(y) .........
this does realy make difference on how smooth car will run & tick over it makes best use of electrics.....& as an added bonus you can make a feature
of the wiring... bit of bling under the bonnet:cool:

oh dont buy the expensive kits, make up the wiring yourself dead easy:D

Thanks for the replies guys (y) but does anyone use any leads other than Magnecor? (Lumenition, Megaleads, Splitfire or even the Bosch 8mm silicone sets from Halfrauds maybe?) I'm not bothered about the colour as you can't really see much of them anyway when they're fitted.

Suprised at the mpi flatspot you shouldnt have one.

Check vacuum pipes are intact etc

I have used KV85's as well as arc and throughly recommend. If anything they improve the idling, a lot more clamer and not like it is going to cut out any second.

(y) will do - cheers for that Apple, didn't think to check them, but I shall.
As for the leads, it's pay day in 10 days - magnecor 8mm blue leads will be ordered pronto :D

Thanks for the input so far guys (y)

I'm still having trouble finding any other performance leads for the Mpi other than Magnecor :bang: - is anyone using any other types?

If I have to get Magnecor, where is the cheapest place to get them on the web - some sites only list the Spi sets?

Cheers :D

Are not the spi ones the same as mpi? 2 coils and 4 spark plugs in the same place?

This is what I can't understand :confused: some websites list 2 seperate sets, one for the Spi with the 176B200 engine code, and another for the Mpi with the 187A1000 engine code and the Mpi are always about £10 more?

If the Spi ones are the same as the Mpi then obviously I will get the cheaper ones but I don't want to get them and find out they aren't suitable :( still a bit confused.

Can't for the life of me see how they can be any different.
Maybe the mpi ones come with cable seperation clips?

Could be an administration charge for all the research they had to do to find out the spi ones fit?

I found that all the aftermarket ones seemed pretty much the same tbh..

Tried the Magnecors red and blue and the splitfires...

So go for cheapest of the uprated ones really :)

Can't for the life of me see how they can be any different.
Maybe the mpi ones come with cable seperation clips?

Could be an administration charge for all the research they had to do to find out the spi ones fit?

Ha-ha!! I'd not of that :D . Come to think of it, an ignition lead is an ignition lead at the end of the day - they all do the same job and, as you say, both mpi and spi have the coils and plugs in the same place so there is no reason why magnecor offer two different sets. I'd like to see both sets side by side.

Back