General Spare key required

Currently reading:
General Spare key required

Ashy63

Hi folks , my 12 plate Qubo ( Tardis ) has landed but it only has 1 key.
I would like to buy a second one for a spare .
Any recommendations please ?
Many thanks.
Andy.

Hi folks , my 12 plate Qubo ( Tardis ) has landed but it only has 1 key.
I would like to buy a second one for a spare .
Any recommendations please ?
Many thanks.
Andy.
I would have thought most modern Auto Locksmiths should be able to cut and program a new key for you, my local one did a 2012 Punto Evo for me, I just drove over to him , he cut a key to match the lock and then using his laptop programmed the chip in the new key.
Just check both keys work fully afterwards.
I trust my guy , but if you are not sure don't give him your address in case he cuts a spare for his mate;)

I would have thought most modern Auto Locksmiths should be able to cut and program a new key for you, my local one did a 2012 Punto Evo for me, I just drove over to him , he cut a key to match the lock and then using his laptop programmed the chip in the new key.
Just check both keys work fully afterwards.
I trust my guy , but if you are not sure don't give him your address in case he cuts a spare for his mate;)
Thanks BugsyMike .
I have a locksmith about 400 yards away up the street.
Just wondering roughly how much I can me expecting to pay .

Thanks BugsyMike .
I have a locksmith about 400 yards away up the street.
Just wondering roughly how much I can me expecting to pay .
From memory around £65 for a basic non blipping one but they do vary, still much cheaper than a Dealer.
Just make sure he can program the key chip and check both work while you are there.
The other thing I like to check when a key is cut, that there are no rough edges on it as they can quickly wear out your lock, most locksmiths will "buff" the new key on a wire brush or similar to take any roughness away.

From memory around £65 for a basic non blipping one but they do vary, still much cheaper than a Dealer.
Just make sure he can program the key chip and check both work while you are there.
The other thing I like to check when a key is cut, that there are no rough edges on it as they can quickly wear out your lock, most locksmiths will "buff" the new key on a wire brush or similar to take any roughness away.
Thanks again BugsyMike.

My punto was also @£ 60

The Code was stored on the ECU : BCM so locksmith just plugged in and recoded the keys

'The process doesnt 'add 1 '..
So they load the old and new as
'a new set' :)

Code from FIAT is sent as an A4 printout.. dealer charges vary.. £20 /£60 range

Worth approaching the locksmith first ;)
Many thanks Varescrazy.
I'll nip in to see the local locksmith up the road on Monday.

I've just rang around a few locksmiths for a price and they've all quoted £80.
.is it worth investing in a remote fob on an uncut key from eBay ?
I didn't bother for the spare, however on a recent thread a member with a Ducato van found if he locked it with the "blipper" it set the alarm, so if he tried to unlock using a plain chipped key it triggered the alarm, until we advised him to just carry on and put key in ignition to start vehicle and that stopped alarm.
So it depends on whether you want to upset your neighbours at 3am or not.;)

I didn't bother for the spare, however on a recent thread a member with a Ducato van found if he locked it with the "blipper" it set the alarm, so if he tried to unlock using a plain chipped key it triggered the alarm, until we advised him to just carry on and put key in ignition to start vehicle and that stopped alarm.
So it depends on whether you want to upset your neighbours at 3am or not.;)
Nice one Mike.
I've just talked to Stoneacre in Chesterfield . I replacement key non remote through them is about £255 + £20 to download the code + £105 to program it.
They should wear masks and a 3 cornered hat !!!!
I don't want a solid gold one fgs.

Nice one Mike.
I've just talked to Stoneacre in Chesterfield . I replacement key non remote through them is about £255 + £20 to download the code + £105 to program it.
They should wear masks and a 3 cornered hat !!!!
I don't want a solid gold one fgs.
I think the saying "Charge like a raging Bull!" seems to come to mind.;)

Back