Sound system advice needed

Currently reading:
Sound system advice needed

I have just sent them a message asking this, oh and they say 5355E is just the full model no

they say its a manufactureres warranty but jbl says this:

WHO IS PROTECTED BY THIS GUARANTEE:
Your JBL Guarantee protects the owner of a JBL product purchased from a
dealer who was authorized by JBL to sell such products at the time of the original purchase. Guarantee service is available only in the region of original purchase, and the length of the Guarantee is one year. Guarantee service is available only when the original bill of sale or sales slip is presented when Guarantee service is
requested, and only when the product type and serial number are correct. This
ensures that an authorized Service Center services your product and that only
genuine JBL parts are used.

I think i'll just get it from car audio security.

EDIT Right all ordered!!

Last edited:
It cant hurt to send JBL a quick email with a link and ask them their opinion, though i am doubtful. There is a possibility they have a shop somewhere.

i just ordered it from car audio security lol did send them a email though.

Haven't budgeted for any deadening what so ever. Even if its just enough for the bootlid and front doors, make sure you do it. Grande punto door speakers will not kick at all without mdf baffles and some deadening behind them. Such a troublesome car to install into. Believe me, I've done it.

Like sound proofing? Its not a grande punto its a 04 active sport.

Was gonna say Joe it's a 2B. Sound deadening is a great idea in any car. I would like to stress using things like proper MDF baffles are much more important in the first instance.

Sorry, mis-read it, but yeah still deaden what your budget allows. And in a 2B your gonna NEED baffles, I scratched my passenger window when I had mine using just a set of fli 6's and they had a shallow enough mounting depth. The down side to that is your original speaker grille won't fit.

ooh sorry to hear you scratched your window. I checked the speakers im getting are shallow enough. But what is 2B and i take it baffles are mounts?? And depending on what 2B is why do i NEED baffles?

Thanks for your suggestion.

2B is the Punto you have. Its a slightly Updated version of the Mk2. The speaker fitment is no different though. Its just different to the Grande Punto that SmokeyJoe was talking about earlier.

Yes a Baffle is a mount and is essential in any car not least the Punto. If you dont want to make any yourself seriously take it to somebody to get some made for you. Its a couple hours work that will make the speakers work immeasurably better.
Do you understand how mid bass speakers work or any woofer type speaker tbh?

Last edited:
Right the power cable is in with inline fuse and routed to the boot, all speakers are in and wire to the boot but...

a question about speaker wire, i put in 20 gauge wire for the speakers which is what came with the amp wiring kit, is this good enough? will sound quality be effected? the speakers are about 50w rms so is it safe also?

Also can i use the built in remote wire in my rca cable? or should i use a seperate one? (they just turned up today)

Last edited:
ok cheers, i'll give it a go with the 20 for a while and see how it sounds then may replace it with better wire later on. But will it sound noticeably better with thicker cable?

as ive heard lots of debate about this.

Another quick question when connecting my amp power lead to the battery if all the other leads are installed, ground cable, fuse etc do i need to remove the negative terminal on the battery? If so why?

Dunno, I've never heard that one. Making sure the earth is in first is the important thing to do which you have. Just unplug the RCA's from the amp to be safe, then put your positive in. Tug test all of the cables as they should be able to take quite a bit of tension on them. Then put the RCA's back in.

Dunno, I've never heard that one. Making sure the earth is in first is the important thing to do which you have. Just unplug the RCA's from the amp to be safe, then put your positive in. Tug test all of the cables as they should be able to take quite a bit of tension on them. Then put the RCA's back in.

Yeah thats what we done. It is all working beautifully! only after 1 hiccup, when we first connected the power lead and turned the stereo on it turned the amp on and evrything was good but then tried some music and noticed the front right speaker wasnt working so after a while of adjusting the terminals on the amp we wern't getting anywhere, so then took out the speaker and connected it to the amp with a short piece of wire and it worked, so we established the problem is the wire.

Then had to rip apart the right hand side of the car after just putting it back together to inspect it for cuts etc, but it was fine, anyway cutting a long story short the culprit was the connection to the speaker, must of been a dodgy terminal crimped on to the wire but we replaced it and all is working fine. Have tuned the amp, set gains etc and the sound is very impressive, havent needed to turn the gain past half way because its that loud so all in all am very happy and thanks for all your help and advice!
One thing i may change, atm the stereo comes on with the ignition but you cant turn it on without the ignition on which isnt ideal so may have to just have it coming on manually without the ignition, to save the ignition coils heating up and burning out. But thats another days problem! :)

Back