Technical Smells like exhaust :(

Currently reading:
Technical Smells like exhaust :(

hjalte81

Hello...

I have a punto from 1997. Its a 1.2S

If I turn the heat on, the air smells something like exhaust air.
Its only when the heater is set on warm air. with the cold air I cant smell anything.

What can this be?

// Hjalte

Attachments

• punto1.jpg
    punto1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 31
  • punto2.jpg
    punto2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 29
looks like the hot air feed for the air box. shouldn't cause your problem. if the smell is there with the heater on, it's more than likely down to the heater itself. check for a leak around the heater matrix where the pipes go into it. could be evaporating coolant perhaps? i don't know about the punto, but the tipo has a tap which tends to leak it may be something similar.

Last edited:
if the smell is there with the heater on, it's more than likely down to the heater itself. check for a leak around the heater matrix where the pipes go into it. could be evaporating coolant perhaps? i don't know about the punto, but the tipo has a tap which tends to leak it may be something similar.

I am not very familiar with the car yet.
Can you please explain to me (like you would to a child, hehe ) where I have to look, and what I am looking for.

Please.

Hi, there is supposed to be a pipe connecting the two, you can pick up a replacement from halfords for about £2, it might make a difference as i noticed that when my downpipe was blowing i could smell it coming from my engine bay, worth doing anyway as it re-circulates hot air into your intake therefore improving fuel economy.

Hi, there is supposed to be a pipe connecting the two, you can pick up a replacement from halfords for about £2, it might make a difference as i noticed that when my downpipe was blowing i could smell it coming from my engine bay, worth doing anyway as it re-circulates hot air into your intake therefore improving fuel economy.

Are you talking about the one on the picture I attached?

Isn't the downpipe the bit of the exhaust after the manifold? So that would give you a smell of exhaust in the car, but the little pipe ringed doesn't do anything to do with heating or exhaust of the car so not related as any air it takes in goes straight into the throttle body.

Today I was out for a longer drive.
And after reading about this here on the forum, I thought it smelled a little bit sweet.
I got a friend of mine to sit in car, and he said it smelled a bit like cooler liquid.

But I checked the cooler liquid container, and it was full (actually a lot full. See attached pic.)

Attachments

• 17092008032.jpg
    17092008032.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 17092008031.jpg
    17092008031.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 16
I get the eaxct same exhaust fumes smell when i turn on the heating in my 96 punto 1.1s
I have a hole underneath my airbox but there is no fitting on the manifold for a pipe to clip on to?

I get the eaxct same exhaust fumes smell when i turn on the heating in my 96 punto 1.1s
I have a hole underneath my airbox but there is no fitting on the manifold for a pipe to clip on to?
Do you have the sweet smell in your car?

I've noticed that when I drive with the turned on, then the smell stops after a couple of minutes.
But when I start the car the next time, the smell is back for again.

Today I was out for a longer drive.
And after reading about this here on the forum, I thought it smelled a little bit sweet.
I got a friend of mine to sit in car, and he said it smelled a bit like cooler liquid.

But I checked the cooler liquid container, and it was full (actually a lot full. See attached pic.)

that is way too high,

that is way too high,
The picture was taken after a drive. I had no idea that the difference would be that big.
This morning i looked again, And It was near the max line.

Back