Technical Is setting up a spark cut switch/button possible?

Currently reading:
Technical Is setting up a spark cut switch/button possible?

tempuura

Hello forum members :)

I´ve been seeing a lot of diy Bee*R spark cut switches using only a relay, wire and a button or switch and I´m wondering if it would even be possible to do in my 1.2 8v mk1 Punto.

Here´s the original video for reference:

I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to achieve. I assumed at first, you were wanting an anti-theft device, btu that is not it.
The car in the video is quite old, having a coil and distrubutor. Your Punto will probably have something electronic, may differ with whatever age it is, so cutting the spark is more difficult.

Cutting the spark momentarily will allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust. If the resultant explosion is what you are seeking, beware, there is a risk. Any explosion in the exhaust, could rip a hole in it, or destroy the internals of a silencer. Some silencers are full of fibreglass 'wool'. Allowing it to escape may cause blockages.

The explosion will also be anti-social, and very likely to gain the attention of the local police, who will then examine the whole car very carefully. They will then place a marker on it, so that you get stopped regularly. Good luck with that.

I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to achieve. I assumed at first, you were wanting an anti-theft device, btu that is not it.
The car in the video is quite old, having a coil and distrubutor. Your Punto will probably have something electronic, may differ with whatever age it is, so cutting the spark is more difficult.

Cutting the spark momentarily will allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust. If the resultant explosion is what you are seeking, beware, there is a risk. Any explosion in the exhaust, could rip a hole in it, or destroy the internals of a silencer. Some silencers are full of fibreglass 'wool'. Allowing it to escape may cause blockages.

The explosion will also be anti-social, and very likely to gain the attention of the local police, who will then examine the whole car very carefully. They will then place a marker on it, so that you get stopped regularly. Good luck with that.
Thank you for the reply.
I am aware of the risks envolved, and the objective is the same as turning of and on the ignition in a carburated car.
Do you know any way I could do the wiring?

Do not do that . If you do you will destroy your catalytic converter and o2 sensor.
This ---^^^^^^

Also depending on what engine you have, some puntos used a "wasted Spark" set up where by the spark would fire during the induction stroke, any unburnt fuel air mix still in the cylinder at this point in the cycle with the inlet valves open could cause a backfire up into the intake side of things, which on many cars is just plastic induction tubing and pipes. you can blow this all apart as well on a punto.

A Punto is not suited to this.

This ---^^^^^^

Also depending on what engine you have, some puntos used a "wasted Spark" set up where by the spark would fire during the induction stroke, any unburnt fuel air mix still in the cylinder at this point in the cycle with the inlet valves open could cause a backfire up into the intake side of things, which on many cars is just plastic induction tubing and pipes. you can blow this all apart as well on a punto.

A Punto is not suited to this.
A wasted spark fires on the exhaust stroke. Always as the piston come up, not down. So 1 & 4 fire together, and 2 & 3.

Thank you for the reply.
I am aware of the risks envolved, and the objective is the same as turning of and on the ignition in a carburated car.
Do you know any way I could do the wiring?
I tend to agree with the other comments advising against.
The reason being as an apprentice 55 years ago another mechanic showed me how to do this by revving up a customers car, switching off the ignition , pumping the throttle causing the accelerator pump to squirt loads of petrol in , then switching the ignition back on making a large bang igniting the fuel in the exhaust.
Great fun, until I had a go on a farmers old Mk1 Ford Consul, large bang and the exhaust had blown open! Boss then came out and said "Right you can now spend your lunch hour welding the f**king thing up!!!"
I didn't learn as on the way home one night on my old Lambretta Series 1 scooter I held the stop button on going down a long hill, released it at the bottom and a large bang, along with blowing the studs out of the exhaust manifold! So next day at College I learnt how to retap threads and fit oversize bolts to a engine;).
The point being in the past the repair to damage caused was minor, however on a modern vehicle could be much more expensive.:(

Back