Smart traffic lights which turn red if approaching drivers are speeding.

Currently reading:
Smart traffic lights which turn red if approaching drivers are speeding.

Smart traffic lights which turn red if approaching drivers are speeding are to be trialled in Britain.

trafficlights_1836837c.jpg

The council which stripped out all its speed cameras is testing the new lights.
Swindon will start the trials in the Autumn on two sites in the town where speeding has been identified as a problem. It will be the first authority in the country to do so.

The lights work by placing a sensor in the road a short distance ahead of the traffic light which logs how fast traffic is going.

If cars are going too fast then a message is sent to a control box, which turns the light to red.

Automatic number plate recognition cameras are used to detect emergency vehicles.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8521769/Smart-traffic-lights-to-stop-speeders.html

Not sure thats a good idea, speeding car doesn't have time to stop or looses control trying to stop ... :chin:

Last edited:
Personally think it's a good idea. Rewards drivers for not speeding, punishes those that do. much better than having a camera.

Only thing is if you want to race someone, just speed upto the lights, and they do the lights for you ready to go. :rolleyes:

On way way to work if I stick rigidly to the speed limits I get stopped by every set of traffic lights, if I do around 35 though, I can get through them all while they're green and not have to stop until I'm almost out of town, thus saving time and petrol.

On way way to work if I stick rigidly to the speed limits I get stopped by every set of traffic lights, if I do around 35 though, I can get through them all while they're green and not have to stop until I'm almost out of town, thus saving time and petrol.

Didnt know you could get up to 35mph around Huddersfield Ring Road :confused::confused::confused:

Back