Technical Slight Engine Grinding/Catching sound

Currently reading:
Technical Slight Engine Grinding/Catching sound

Varn01

We have just bought a Competicione with under 5000 miles and one service and when I start the engine first time (cold) there is a 'gentle Grinding/slight rotating Catching sound' this disappears after a few minutes and doesn't appear again next time engine is started if still warm.
I thought maybe Fan belt but can't determine by listening.
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this sound and if it might lead on to worse things to come.
Any advice or opinions are very welcome

Hi thanks for response,
Age -18 months with under 5000 miles. Car gets started every couple of days by us, don't know previously.

Obvious thing..

If it happens reliably at each cold start,

Drop the 'serpentine belt' that drives the alternator... you only need to run the motor with it off for 20 seconds to see / hear if its better..or different

On a 5 year old belt.. I would suggest spraying the belt .. then running the engine.. can quieten things :)

But yours shouldnt really 'be that dry' !!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate that, I will have to find some info on how to do that, the car is still under warranty but it is an inconvenience taking it to dealer and leaving ect .
Thanks again

I have a Panda that does this. Virtually always when freezing. I am suspicious of the alternator bearings and have - I think quietend it by spraying these with various light oils. It has been suggested to day that it might be the auxilliary drive belt tensioner or the cam belt tensioner. Both aux and cam belts being done monday. Both tensioners and alternator will be investigated and I will let you know if there is anything discovered. Our car really sounds as if its going to self destruct, but stops once warm and going. Its been intermittently like it for at least 15000 miles! You should be concerned as any of these things culd seize up. This would cause aux and cam belt failure and could destroy he engine so you need to sort it. My alternator is a pig to change so I have poured on the spray 3 in 1 and PTFE petrsating fluid. As this seems to quiet it for months at a time I have not delved further until the current maintenance.

Last edited:
I have a Panda that does this. Virtually always when freezing. I am suspicious of the alternator bearings and have - I think quietend it by spraying these with various light oils. It has been suggested to day that it might be the auxilliary drive belt tensioner or the cam belt tensioner. Both aux and cam belts being done monday. Both tensioners and alternator will be investigated and I will let you know if there is anything discovered. Our car really sounds as if its going to self destruct, but stops once warm and going. Its been intermittently like it for at least 15000 miles! You should be concerned as any of these things culd seize up. This would cause aux and cam belt failure and could destroy he engine so you need to sort it. My alternator is a pig to change so I have poured on the spray 3 in 1 and PTFE petrsating fluid. As this seems to quiet it for months at a time I have not delved further until the current maintenance.
Gents thanks for suggestions, after lightly spraying Fan belt with WD40, absolutely no difference, but now it has been mentioned, it could be bearings?
I think I now have to go back to dealer.
Thanks again for advice so far

Back