Technical Sliding door issue

Currently reading:
Technical Sliding door issue

Bev478

Hi everyone. Have an intermittent problem with my lwb 07 Ducato (x250). Occasionally I can’t unlock the side door with the remote. Always know it’s gonna be a problem because the unlock sound is much quieter than the healthy clunk when everything is ok. On a couple of occasions I have also been unable to open it using the internal handle (reaching through from front) & this is happening today. I can try 3 hours later & it behaves impeccably…….& sometimes it’s when I try it a few days later ☹️

This is causing problems as:
1. The rear door key unlock has been disabled by the builder who originally owned it (rods removed???) & that rear door is also hit & miss whether it locks or unlocks 🙄
2. 3 seats in cab means it’s almost impossible to access from the front.
3. It won’t always unlock using the key in the driver’s door method
4. We are going away Wednesday for partner‘s 60th, to a festival, & need access, obviously, but would like to be certain we can lock/unlock reliably for the period we are away.

At the moment I can’t get a locksmith to come out.

I‘d be grateful for any suggestions……..well, depends what they are I guess 🤪, & can anyone one explain, in numpty terms, exactly how the locking mechanism works! TIA

1. May I respectively suggest that your timescale is rather tight, but perhaps I or others may still be able to help.

2. Your observations as to the sound of the sliding door lock, suggest that the problem on that door could possibly be caused by a bad contact.

3. The sliding door is connected by spring loaded retracting contacts (brushes) at the bottom rear corner of the door.

4. Have you checked that these sliding contacts are free to move, and together with the mating fixed contacts are clean?

5. To clean, wipe off any obvious grime, and then polish with very fine emory cloth or wet & dry paper.. Then wipe clean again.

6. Retest sliding door locking and unlocking.

I have a memory of reading about one or both contact mounting boards being of poor quality on early x250s. Also I think that you may five contacts. Two for the lock motor, and three for the commands, including a common. If either contact mounting board is faulty, then I do not think that you can repair in the required timescale.

Please take the time to post your findings on this thread, but this may be after your intended trip.

1. May I respectively suggest that your timescale is rather tight, but perhaps I or others may still be able to help.

2. Your observations as to the sound of the sliding door lock, suggest that the problem on that door could possibly be caused by a bad contact.

3. The sliding door is connected by spring loaded retracting contacts (brushes) at the bottom rear corner of the door.

4. Have you checked that these sliding contacts are free to move, and together with the mating fixed contacts are clean?

5. To clean, wipe off any obvious grime, and then polish with very fine emory cloth or wet & dry paper.. Then wipe clean again.

6. Retest sliding door locking and unlocking.

I have a memory of reading about one or both contact mounting boards being of poor quality on early x250s. Also I think that you may five contacts. Two for the lock motor, and three for the commands, including a common. If either contact mounting board is faulty, then I do not think that you can repair in the required timescale.

Please take the time to post your findings on this thread, but this may be after your intended trip.
Thanks for your reply. The timescale may be tight but the van is not used frequently, so it was only on a quick run out to check everything was ok that the latest occurrence of this problem occurred 🙄

Thanks for the explanation of the workings, I sort of get it 🤪 Unfortunately, without being able to open the door I cannot attempt to clean the contacts 😔 It will not open even using the internal handle which I really don’t understand 🤷‍♀️

😔 It will not open even using the internal handle which I really don’t understand 🤷‍♀️
I have just checked on my x244. Locked myself in, and internal sliding door HANDLE is locked. Pull up the "button", handle works, but system not in sychronism. Sliding doors locked and cab doors opened. OK after a couple of presses on remote.

If you can get the sllding door open, I woud certainly clean the contacts, as it is a known issue with these doors. My PVC is at present probably used even less, but it is under cover. The previous post was not meant as an explanation. I took the view that getting the sliding door working the highest priority for you.

Ok. Sliding door is the priority……..& 3. seemed a reasonable explanation of how it works 🤷‍♀️ Off to work now - 15hr night shift but will look at it later - cannot picture a button atm. Will have another attempt at getting a locksmith out, hopefully someone will be available.

I will update when there is some progress 🤞🤞

You were quite correct. A mechanic advised pressing hard on the bottom rear corner of the door whilst operating the remote. Eventually found the correct place & there was the satisfying loud clunk of the lock disengaging 😊 I was also told that the internal handle would not work because I had deadlocked the van by double pressing the lock button. At least that explains why sometimes the internal handle worked & sometimes not 👍

It seems that the panel with the contacts blocks on is moving slightly, pushing inwards, & I guess it’s enough to occasionally mean there is no contact at all. Needless to say I will not be using the deadlock again 🤪

Thanks for your input Communicator (sorry, couldn’t find info on how to tag another member 🙄)

Back