Skyline going round Knockhill!

Currently reading:
Skyline going round Knockhill!

hmallett said:
Mine lasted 9km around the Ring... less than half a lap. And I did 6 laps (not consecutively).
H

An absolute minimum is a fluid change before going on, with something Decent like Castrol Response Plus, s/s lines and some uprated disc's pads. Then of course some decent callipers helps, like the Ferrari F40/360 callipers which you can get for the 'grale or the 911 monoblokes as Porsche brakes are well known for being the best in the business, tho Alcon do a very nice set up for the 'grale as well at about £1500 all in :eek:

Tho my comment to Alex was he runs the Cinqs standard solid tiny disc's which are just rubbish on a standard cinq, never mind a turbo one on a track.

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
UT ones are ok, should stop a cinq well enough!

u think coupe 4 pot brembos, running brembo drilled discs, goodridge braided hoses and dot 4.1 fluid will be ok for track use? :D i hope so!

Dunc

only 1 way to find out matey (y)

UT ones are ok on a cinq, but punto GT tar-ox drilled an grooved with fast road pads and stainless goodrich hoses are a lot better on a cinq :worship:

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
UT ones are ok, should stop a cinq well enough!

u think coupe 4 pot brembos, running brembo drilled discs, goodridge braided hoses and dot 4.1 fluid will be ok for track use? :D i hope so!

Dunc

yeah sounds like a great set up for a UT, there was a set of integrale EVO 4 pot Brembos on ebay last week only went for about £140, though sure they are pretty much same as the Coupe ones.

the UT brakes are not very good on UTs, but the Cinq is lighter so should work better, though they ain’t GT brakes cos they bigger and everyone knows when it comes to braking and fade resistance bigger is better for dissipating heat and having bigger surface area.

Aaron.

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
cheers for that aaron, thought they would do the job on my UT. u put my mind at rest. :D

Dunc

No worries mate, it was the one thing that put me off UT's, came so close twice to buying one, first time 10 years back a red F reg MK1, but bought a black E reg R5GTT, then when that got written off, looked at J reg grey UT ended up with grey H R5GTT cos both times it just felt like the R5 was a more solid car and stopped better, always felt like the UT was just hanging on, tho i always loved the looks of the UT, just wasn't meant to be for me.

yeah i love me r5 gtt's too. had a clio with a 5 engine in. only thing that bugged me was starting it on a cold day and manual choke lol. the UT lump (especially mk2) feels so much newer if u know what i mean. anyway, with my coilovers, powerflex bushes, stitch welding, full cage and strut braces, im sure it'll feel sooooo much more stable and solid!

cheers again matey :D

Dunc

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
yeah i love me r5 gtt's too. had a clio with a 5 engine in. only thing that bugged me was starting it on a cold day and manual choke lol. the UT lump (especially mk2) feels so much newer if u know what i mean. anyway, with my coilovers, powerflex bushes, stitch welding, full cage and strut braces, im sure it'll feel sooooo much more stable and solid!

cheers again matey :D

Dunc

LOL, my car ran so sweet that i removed the choke and the choke butterfly, makes it a cleaner more direct route into the carb.

yeah the UT lump is much newer, there’s no doubt of that the R5 in it can be traced back to the 50's I believe, old push rod thing, though that does make them solid, the bottom ends are unburstable cos you need to be doing something wrong to get problems down there, plus being chain driven rather than belt, no worries with it snapping until about 150K miles.

I ran my last one for 4 years, never once did it break down, apart from snapped clutch cable but still made it home no bother, and my mate still has it, he has had it 3 years now, and apart from about 4 months back when he recommissioned it after it sat for 6 months when it needed a new water pump and radiator and then starter motor, it proved to be faultless otherwise, he even had it home from London to Arran over Christmas some 500mile trip both ways no problem, and over 30mpg in a car with 180bhp and over 200lbs/ft torque.

Looking forward to hope fully seeing your car rebuilt tho at some shows this year.

Aaron.

Since getting my first UT.........im never getting a 5GTT........and a 5GTT was the first Turbo hatch i ever went in!! (To guilford and back but burned 1/4 of a tank just going there!!!!!)
I thort id get one till i saw "my" UT and was hooked on it.

You'll never catch me in a French car again!
Made even better when i beat a 5 @ 2.1 BAR of boost (Wasnt a slow 5 either, was well over 180bhp/200flbs).

Same here dunc mate, im gona be doing the same thing over the next year or so! (Uni depending)

300bhp/300flbs +
Caged
Stripped
Strengthend
LSD
And still a 1372cc.
it can be done and will be done.

as for the skyline, its all power and no grip!

Biz said:
Since getting my first UT.........im never getting a 5GTT........and a 5GTT was the first Turbo hatch i ever went in!! (To guilford and back but burned 1/4 of a tank just going there!!!!!)

Made even better when i beat a 5 @ 2.1 BAR of boost (Wasnt a slow 5 either, was well over 180bhp/200flbs).

Same here dunc mate, im gona be doing the same thing over the next year or so! (Uni depending)

300bhp/300flbs +
Caged
Stripped
Strengthend
LSD
And still a 1372cc.

hehe, mate, my car will be done by summer, my new 300bhp lump shall be built next winter (funds allowing) as i want a cossie too lol

still love me r5 gtt's, sorry biz :p :D

looks like we're in competition then biz matey ;) bring it on hahah!

Dunc

Biz said:

300bhp/300flbs +
Caged
Stripped
Strengthend
LSD
And still a 1372cc.

Thing is, there were 5's running over 330bhp 5 years ago, but the fastest 5 runs "only " 250ishbhp and he gets 11sec 1/4miles on road tyres, and he's not the only one, the UT's can't match that, yet, and probably never will due to demising numbers of them on the roads compared to R5's and therefore no more money on developing new products is being made, unlike the 5 which you can now fuel inject and ditch the carb as they now know that ultimate power in a FWD car is not always the quickest hence lower output these days but faster times due to flatter torque curves from newer quicker spinning smaller turbos.

As the Skyline demonstrated quite admirably, power does not mean fast.

J333EVO said:
Thing is, there were 5's running over 330bhp 5 years ago, but the fastest 5 runs "only " 250ishbhp and he gets 11sec 1/4miles on road tyres, and he's not the only one, the UT's can't match that, yet, and probably never will due to demising numbers of them on the roads compared to R5's and therefore no more money on developing new products is being made, unlike the 5 which you can now fuel inject and ditch the carb as they now know that ultimate power in a FWD car is not always the quickest hence lower output these days but faster times due to flatter torque curves from newer quicker spinning smaller turbos.

As the Skyline demonstrated quite admirably, power does not mean fast.

I consider that to be cheating.
If it dont come with it from factory then it cant be "The same".

But i only say that for big changes in the original set-up, Turbos, cams, rods, pistons, cranks and all that have to be done to get that kinda power obviously but change a ENTIRE system is just cheating to me.

Its like saying for example:
A 2.0-XE'd Corsa say is better than a UT but you ask to race a standard UT vs a standard 2.0 corsa and you get this ansewer:

"Corsas didnt come with 2.0 XEs as standard mate"

So it has to have a ENTIRELY diffrent engine to make it just as fast as a 1.4?So whats the better car?

I get too many idiots who say:
"it can be done - it cant be done - it cant be done because it a 1.4"
"You are stupid for spending that amount on a 16-year old Fiat".

Dunc mate we gota prove them wrong!!! (y)

Its either stick with the UT or get a INTERGRALE (Want to be diffrent to a EVO or Scooby) or a bike.

Biz said:
I consider that to be cheating.
If it dont come with it from factory then it cant be "The same".
OK, so you are saying going from a carburettor to some injectors is different from these changes.......
Biz said:
But i only say that for big changes in the original set-up, Turbos, cams, rods, pistons, cranks and all that have to be done to get that kinda power obviously but change a ENTIRE system is just cheating to me..
Not having a go but to think that changing a carburettor to injection which is no more than unbolting the inlet manifold and refitting with the fuel lines etc as the R5 has an electric fuel pump which is unusual in a carb car, compared to an engine out job in changing rods pistons etc is cheating is confused IMHO.

Biz said:
Its either stick with the UT or get a INTERGRALE (Want to be diffrent to a EVO or Scooby) or a bike.

Watch the spelling of "integrale" Italian for complete. Unfortunately the Germans stole the best Italian word for 4 wheel drive in Quattro, just like on the beaches, always there first :)

J333EVO said:
OK, so you are saying going from a carburettor to some injectors is different from these changes.......
Not having a go but to think that changing a carburettor to injection which is no more than unbolting the inlet manifold and refitting with the fuel lines etc as the R5 has an electric fuel pump which is unusual in a carb car, compared to an engine out job in changing rods pistons etc is cheating is confused IMHO.

Watch the spelling of "integrale" Italian for complete. Unfortunately the Germans stole the best Italian word for 4 wheel drive in Quattro, just like on the beaches, always there first :)

Wasnt aware of that one mate sorry!
Damm germans!

What i ment was that i will have to change the internals to stronger materials but they will be of standard sizes (If i can get them that is!).
Same for the igniton and injection systems.

If a 5 can "only" get say 250bhp on carbs but has to change to fuel injection to get over that figure, i just dont see that as something to brag about!
Like most "Fast & Furious" people do nowadays!
They brag about what they see to much.

Im gona do what i can with the standard layout, as it came from factory.
The fact of it being a fuel injected, 8-Valve engine and i will not have to go bigger or change the layout to get more out of it.

But as with most things only time will tell if itll work!! lol.

Think we've gone off topic abit? :D

Back