Technical Should this EGR metal plate be there?

Currently reading:
Technical Should this EGR metal plate be there?

Hello,

I removed the EGR to replace it on my Fiat Ducato Multijet 100, 2.2 2008. 4hv engine.

Upon removing it, i saw that there was a fully covered gasket on one of the sides. (The picture with the gasket is the side/whole which the gasket covered).

When mounting the new EGR, should this plate really be there? Shouldn't it be open to the intercooler, i assume that it's just an egr blanking plate which the previous owner must have put which shouldn't be there originally?

/Jonathan

IMG_20230513_193141_302.jpg
IMG_20230513_193126_562.jpg
IMG_20230513_193204_181.jpg

I'd say they probably a blanking plate as well are you having issues with the egr in the engine?

Just wondering why your removing it
Yes some things i suspect is due to the EGR. It seems rather dirty on the picture too,

strange thing is that i put an egr blanking plate with a small hole before, not knowing there was one completely covered, and thought i noticed a difference for a while.

Yes I can confirm that is a blanking plate and, strictly speaking, shouldn't be there
Its most likely been put there because the EGR is clogged - your 2.2 Puma engine was notorious for it when fitted in motorhomes.
Whitevanman seldom had any bother with the EGR because he gave it plenty of revs to keep the EGR working and free.
Sometimes you could put in a blanking plate without bringing on the emissions light (MOT fail)
If it did bring on the emissions light Plan B was a blanking plate with a small hole in it. In which case its important to use stainless steel - not aluminium which might melt, (or mild steel which might rust and be blown into the engine.)
Aluminium could be used to make a solid plate because it wouldn't get so hot
(Think of a hot water tap which only gets hot when water is flowing through it like the blanking plate with a hole in. As long as the hot tap is closed like a solid blanking plate it never gets hot)
Blanking plates for the PUMA 2.2 were so common you could buy a stainless steel one on ebay for £5.

Back