Technical Cool outside. Cooling fan coming on - hot metal smell from nearside. Is this normal?

Currently reading:
Technical Cool outside. Cooling fan coming on - hot metal smell from nearside. Is this normal?

Jonthechippy

Hi,

We've just bought an "ex demo" Ducato, MH2 140bhp with a plan to convert it into a campervan. It's still under manufacturer's warranty but soon developed an odd problem!

Over the years I've owned and fixed/maintained a few cars Morris Marina, Astra, Volvo 240and 940 and a Doblo. So not entirely new to this sort of thing.

Firstly, we picked up the van and drove about 400 miles at a steady 60 along the motorway to see relations. All fine.

Next we drove to see a friend about 10 miles away, stopped for about 20 minutes and headed off home only to get stuck behind a tractor, so it was 25mph from then onwards. Soon after meeting the tractor a loud constant whirring sound came from the front. At first we thought it was the tractor but then suspected the van.

After going down a hill and up the other side (about 5 miles in all and still following the tractor) we pulled into a lay-by to have a look under the bonnet. Sure enough the big fan was on.

This was at an outside temperature of 8°C and after a gentle drive up the hill.

This was puzzling as in all my decades of driving cars and vans with electric cooling fans I've only heard them come on a dozen or so times and this was in hot weather and slow moving traffic situations.

There was also a smell of shall we say hot metal or a smell similar to welding coming from the nearside. A bit worrying.

What was also strange as the fan stopped the instance I “dropped” the bonnet closed.

Got home and booked in for the local dealership to have a look.

They did their examination and smelt a similar smell (the fan didn't come on) but couldn't come up with an explanation as they dealt mainly with cars at their branch.

Next we took it back to the dealer who sold the vehicle for them to have a look. They also found nothing.

Ok, without looking for trouble it could have been down to a one-off and “bedding in”.

However 30 miles from home after cruising along the dual carriageway at 60 followed by a gradual slope to a roundabout, the loud fan came on again (this is only the second time now).

The temperature outside was 7°C, pretty cool.

After about a mile we pulled into a lay-by, lifted the bonnet and the same fan was going full pelt and there was a waft of hot air coming from the engine.

Switched the engine off and restarted it after a few minutes. Fan was now off.

Just before home we pulled into a another lay-by to have another look. The fan was off and no smells.

Being new to the Ducato I don't know if all this is normal or if there's something in the engine that needs fixing. I suspect that the thermostat is occasionally sticking closed or is not opening up enough to let sufficient flow into the radiator.
But, like with any intermittent mechanical problems it's difficult to diagnose without examination when the fault is occurring or with a handy sensor to help out.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Any loss of coolant or other issues?
Just a thought if very low mileage and only used for "demo" etc. and chance it is trying to do a DPF Regen, and white smoke or funny smells from exhaust.
Perhaps others on Forum more familiar with your model can advise.
Apart from that I would check with a diagnostic tool to see how temp on screen compares.
If it was older higher mileage I would suspect a blocked radiator if generally running hot but no loss of coolant.

Hi Mike,

Well, it's pretty much new, 800 miles on the clock.

Fluids are all full up.

No smells from the exhaust which exits half way along the offside (smell is on nearside). The Doblo did a regen every 600 miles or so. The 2 dealerships can't agree on DPF regen intervals, one said 1200 miles the other said 2000!

I haven't got a diagnostic tool, I was hoping to leave that purchase for a few years, presuming that all would be well. Silly me.....

Seeing as I suspect the thermostat it might be an idea that if it happens again for me to test the temperature of the flow and return to the radiator from the thermostat housing.

Any more ideas much appreciated of course.

Jon

I may be wrong , but generally if thermostat fails usually they are designed to fail open, but if jammed shut once engine had warmed up it would boil it's head off, knocking etc. like a central heating system with air in it and spew a load of water out.
A diagnostic tool would record if it was trying to do a Regen.

Hi,

It's a 2023 plate with the 2.2 140bhp motor plus the AdBlue stuff and a 6 speed box.

Number 2 dealership plugged it in to their all singing and dancing machine (the one that goes ping...!) and it came back all ok apart from an error code for VERY low fuel...apparently the dealership can only put in a few quids worth of diesel...enough to get you to the nearest filling station!

Thanks.

Jon

Just trying to rule out things that won't apply 😉

So it's the Rad cooling fan making the noise..

I'm wondering if there is a daft issue with aircon..? 🤔

(word of warning.. Do NOT be tempted to brim fill the ADBLU.. Apparently that can ruin the sensors fitted at the neck.. Expensive hard to find parts)

Hopefully somebody with current model experience will add to all this 🙂

There are 2 rad cooling fans.
Big noisy one lower nearside and smaller less noisy one on the upper offside. It's the big noisy one that's giving me the jitters and would surely only be necessary in those extreme situations (warm outside and stuck in slow moving traffic) not coming on seemingly randomly when it's cool outside and engine isn't under load (also empty van). Flummoxing!!
Thanks for the AdBlue tip.
Jon

Hi,

Not sure about the aircon causing this as we've never used it or switched it on. I think it's the big switch right in the middle of the dash!

My theory about the thermostat is unlikely but I am now thinking that it could be a DPF regeneration (high coolant temperature and smell of hot metal).

The mileage interval for this seemed low and there was no light on the dash. If they actually do a regen at 300-500 miles (not the 1000-2000miles service managers think) then it is probably the cause I'm looking for.

There are lots of theories about DPF regenerations but a lack of definitive works to describe the complete processes particularly in this van with the 2.2 engine.

Could it be that the ECU attempts a regen at a mileage/blocking level without illuminating the dash light (sort of spontaneous/natural regeneration?) and the light is only displayed when the clogging level is higher and requires the regen to be completed or serious blocking up will ensue?

Just an idea!!

Jon

PS.
Lesson 1: Always read the handbook. It's all on page 109..... Ooops
Lesson 2: Service managers don't know everything about your vehicle!!

DPF Ducato 109.jpg

May be unrelated but if as you mention vehicle was a demo and car salesmen being known to be tighter than a fishes **** , then if they have only put a few litres in at a time and on some vehicles the need for Regens is controlled by the computer measuring the amount of time the fuel filler cap is opened???
On that basis it is advised to fill tank each time when nearly empty or last 1/4 shall we say.
It would be interesting to see what a diagnostic tool mentions about Regen attempts.
Out of interest what are other Forum members thoughts on that?:)

Back