Technical Shakey steering wheel

Currently reading:
Technical Shakey steering wheel

Re: Latest on my shakey wheel

I had a good look at all the wheels and tyres while I had them off. Only thing obvious is there were less weights on the offending wheel tha the others, but no evidence that any had fallen off :confused: I'm going to chance the drive up to my parents tomorow (bout 200 miles or so) and take it in to my mates garage for a mates-rates balance (freebie :D ). I know I shouldn't risk it, but I'd rather let a garage I know I can trust 100% rather than let a garage round here screw me for everything I've got.

I can't see how a local tyre place can screw you :confused:

Many wont charge you if the wheel can't be balanced and it's normally a fixed charge anyway. Most likely only a tenner :)

Chris. In my initial post, I pretty much summed up your issue. Take your car to a tyre centre and get the wheel balanced. If it is an out of shape tyre, they will let you know. Remember, they warranty their work.

If the wheel is badly buckled (which I very much doubt it is) then that is your worst case scenario. You can have a wheel repaired and straightened. Its not the end of the world and it wont cost you a Kings randsom.

I've got a small issue on my Stilo, and it's been there for a while (since before the 'forgot my wheelbolt' incident). Car's fine up until I hit around the 60-70ish mark, at which point the steering wheel starts shaking. It only does it when I power on, with it being fine when I ease off or brake. Any ideas? I was thinking either tracking or rod ends.

I have hade the same problem - 4 New tyres and tracking, and no more shaking steering wheel. Said to be an out of shape tyre.

mine does this.. but it feels like the whole front end, rather than just the steering wheel?

it also makes a bit of a scrubbing/scratching noise when it shakes most voilently..

seems to be coming from front passenger side, today the iner and outer c.v joints were replaced....
but still doing it..

could it be unbalanced wheel? or does the noise it's making rule that out?
help please lol

could it be unbalanced wheel? or does the noise it's making rule that out?
help please lol
Coyle, you can easily check for damaged or unbalanced wheels by simply swapping front wheels with back.

....although I suspect your problems are more likely to be drive shaft related due to being so low to the ground.

Coyle, you can easily check for damaged or unbalanced wheels by simply swapping front wheels with back.

....although I suspect your problems are more likely to be drive shaft related due to being so low to the ground.

but i had the driveshaft off today and it looked fine, in my eyes and that of local mechanic..

i also replaced both c.v joints and boots.. hmmmm...?

but i thought the fact that it stopped doing it when i took foot off accelerator would rule out wheel balancing?

I was thinking that it sounds like it could be diff.

Is it really bad when turning?

Think 1.2 and 1.4 box are the same, so would have thought that drive shafts probably are.

a few people have said they think it's driveshaft related, particularly with the cv joint being nackered.
so is there any way of confirming the 1.2 driveshaft will fit the 1.4? im hoping so.. coz ive ordered one haha

Back